Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Thumping at highway speed???

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 05:45 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thumping at highway speed???

so car has sat for 9 or so months with upgrades being done still on stock 10bolt and went to get it back from the tuner and on the way home (above 55mph) the car has this thumping sound that can be felt through the seat and through the shifter and makes the plastics rattle. the car does need a ring and pinion, due to prior shop that installed them (stupid loud whining) just curious what you guys think the thumping would be coming from. I know its a broad explanation of what's going on.
Old 03-29-2017, 10:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

first thing i'd checkout is the trans mount (is it broke)? next check if any bolts loose on your torque arm , panhard , lca's ujoint. just my one cent goodluck! i've had issues with my panhard came loose & my torque arm was hitting my safetly loop.
Old 03-29-2017, 11:03 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ETNFUEL
so car has sat for 9 or so months with upgrades being done still on stock 10bolt and went to get it back from the tuner and on the way home (above 55mph) the car has this thumping sound that can be felt through the seat and through the shifter and makes the plastics rattle. the car does need a ring and pinion, due to prior shop that installed them (stupid loud whining) just curious what you guys think the thumping would be coming from. I know its a broad explanation of what's going on.
Could be any number of things, something You might check is the tires could have flat spots on them from sitting. Sounds far fetched but does happen at times, hard to find especially if it is just one of the tires doing it.

Carl Loder
Old 03-29-2017, 11:18 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

What upgrades were done? Is the torque arm hitting? Exhaust?

Are you getting the thump when you take your foot off the gas? While accelerating? Cam surge can make the engine jump and pop and it feels like the car is blowing up.

Quick Reply: Thumping at highway speed???