Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Rebuild stock rear or ditch it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 12:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rebuild stock rear or ditch it?

I have a 2000 TA 6 speed. My rear is whining, oozing, and is an eyesore from rust and seepage. If I was to rebuild it, it would go something like 3.73 gears, moser axles, TA girdle and main cap studs, and grind down the housing and repaint. This is the most cost effective, considering I will be going off to tech school at the end of the summer. However I always hear people saying not to bother with the stocker, just swap a new rear. My car is stock engine wise, and will be for a while but I would like to get into drag. What's your opinions on this?
Old 03-26-2017, 08:43 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you plan on drag racing with drag radials, I would save for a 9 inch/12 bolt or 8.8 custom. If your sticking with street meats, then you can run the 10 bolt and try a smart/aggressive driving style.

My 10 bolt hasnt blown up on me but I never clutch dump, always slip the clutch on launch, mild bolt ons and street tires. I decided to rebuild my 10 bolt because I dont drive or race my car enough to warrant an expensive 9 inch or 12 bolt.

If your planning to keep your car for a long time and plan on drag racing, I would pop for a larger rear end and be done with it.
Old 03-27-2017, 12:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

stock power can grenade it no problem..
If you plan on keeping the car, replace it with something stronger!!
Best of luck
Old 03-27-2017, 11:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by MetalNickA
I have a 2000 TA 6 speed. My rear is whining, oozing, and is an eyesore from rust and seepage. If I was to rebuild it, it would go something like 3.73 gears, moser axles, TA girdle and main cap studs, and grind down the housing and repaint. This is the most cost effective, considering I will be going off to tech school at the end of the summer. However I always hear people saying not to bother with the stocker, just swap a new rear. My car is stock engine wise, and will be for a while but I would like to get into drag. What's your opinions on this?
Like others have said spending money on a 10-bolt could be and in most instances proven to be a waste of money depending on what you plan on doing with the vehicle. If it is a street cruiser and nothing more it would be a good option to rebuild the factory 10-bolt.

If you plan on drag racing then something after market would be a wise investment for the future. Keep in mind we do offer layaway for those who can not afford to purchase everything all at once.

Quick Reply: Rebuild stock rear or ditch it?