Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Whub, whub, whub noise.

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2017, 01:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

Default Whub, whub, whub noise.

Yes I searched and read many posts about rear end noise.

Car is the one in the signature. A4, Torsen differential. Normal stock, unaltered, last year WS6.

A couple of years ago, 2 ,3, maybe 4, I had some exhaust welding done by the only other mechanic that I trust to work on my car. He is the local go-to hot rod guy that everyone respects around here. When I picked up the car he told me that I have a rear axle bearing going out. He noticed it when taking it for it's test drive after fixing the exhaust. When I asked him what we do about it he said, meh, wait until it gets worse. But it has not got any worse since that time.

I had not noticed it yet, he told me to turn the music off. So then I started to notice it. At low speed, not really noticeable unless the windows are down, there is a whub, whub, whub, type noise from the rear. Probably once each tire rotation. No whine at speed or other noises. No performance issues. Just that whub, whub at low speed, and not even very noticeable unless you are listening for it.

Car is absolutely solid, well maintained, no issues at 130,000 miles. Nothing found at last years rear fluid change. Fluid was clean, no shavings or filings.

So I am just looking for opinions at this point. Do you guys agree with the rear wheel bearing diagnosis? Can I just keep driving and ignore the slight sound? It hasn't got worse for years and you have to be listening for it to even notice. Is this a problem, concern?

I am still at this point taking the doctor's orders to just monitor until it gets worse. Will it get worse? Big deal or no worry?

Quick Reply: Whub, whub, whub noise.