Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Q's: 4.10's, gear oil/additive, TA cover and axles

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2004, 02:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Q's: 4.10's, gear oil/additive, TA cover and axles

I got a really good deal on a 10-bolt with 4.10's and have a few questions. Before you shake your heads at me for not getting a 12-bolt, this is why: 1, this was cheap and I'm broke, 2, I need the gears now because my cam destroyed my lower rpm band and 3, I DO NOT DRAG RACE. I would like to drag race but I can't risk breaking anything. I usually race from a roll around 25mph or so.

1- I wanted to get a TA cover and stud kit but since I don't plan on dragging the car, will it be a waste of money? What good would it do for me? Are the TA covers better than MAC's (they're cheaper.)

2- What kind of gear oil should I use? Can I just go to AutoZone and get some Castrol 75/90 or should I do the Royal Purple or Redline? Does the oil effect whine? This rear is out of a 2002 WS6 so I'm not sure what kind of diff. it has.
2a- Should I add any limited slip additive and if so, what kind and how much? Most guys on here seem to stick with GM additive. 1 bottle or 2? Will 2 bottles be quieter?
2b- What about the cover gaket? Can I just use gasket maker? If so which one and how long should I let it sit? I was told only to use the stock gasket because everything else will break down.

3- How do I install the new rear? If I pull the stock one out, won't it be a bitch to line up the LCA's and PHR? It seems to me like the whole car will twist without it. Anyone have a good write-up on this? Is it easier or harder on a lift?

4- I have TCS on my 00 SS but the new rear does not. I was told all I had to do was change out the axles and I would get it back? How do I do it and how easy? I heard something about removing the c-clips and it slides right out?

5- As long as I don't launch on this rear, is there any reason it won't last?
6- How much of a drop in et could I expect in the 1/4 over my 3.42's?

Thanks.

Last edited by SStolen; 06-30-2004 at 02:30 AM.
Old 06-30-2004, 09:09 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

5- Should be fine.. depends on who you are buying it from.. and if the old user launched hard with it. He may have made some passes in it.

6- A very noticable drop