Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

After almost 15 years and more abuse than you can imagine, my first 8.8 is done

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 12:49 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Default After almost 15 years and more abuse than you can imagine, my first 8.8 is done

Been busy this past year+, not much time for forums or the like but seeing as it all started here I thought I would give a quick update on my first 8.8 ( theres pics on here if you dig ) which survived through three engines, four clutches, three sets of destroyed gears, a twisted axle, three carrier failures ( and i mean failures of the KABOOOOOOM kind ) multiple sets of low profile drag radials and best of all more broken hearted come uppers than I can count I finally bent the pinion center line beyond repair and must now replace the original housing. The failure happened under WOT at night going over a small pothole that caused a BAD hop on a brand new set of Nitto Extreme drag 17". There was a ton of doubt about welding the cast back when, but safe to say by my own data that this thing proved far more stout than I ever imagine it could be.

That said if I were starting fresh today simply because of the power levels the car is now at I would probably do up a Dana 60 although nothing like what is currently being offered, I have learned how to make the rear suspensions in these cars work on the street ( that took about ten years trial and error ) and I would change the entire torque arm assembly to something different. Still a sliding three link, but something different.

Anyways the car is side lined from this failure, and I had a few moments today to post so offered an update for anyone curious.
Old 09-07-2017, 01:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

thanks for sharing and laying out there from direct experience. curious what you would do differently , maybe we can have some crowdsourcing of ideas here...
Old 09-07-2017, 01:32 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

I've been at this car now for over 20 years and third gens for almost 30 and when i first got traction I began eating trans mounts. Multiple, then I discovered poly and damaged transmissions, then I moved to cross member mount and onto solid mounts in the rear. Im at the stage now where there is zero rubber in the suspension and only poly on the front lower control arms and one end of the LCA's. Its A harsh ride, but it works.

What the car really deserves now is a complete gut from the firewall back and a mini tub, but that aint gonna happen, its not a race car.

On that end, I'm contemplating taking some power out of the car to make it easier to drive or I've thought about switching back to an auto to take some abuse away from the chassis.

I have considered building a new chassis altogether and using the go fast/er items on it and stuffing a 346 back in this thing. The most fun combo I had was the first LS1/TR224 112 with the t56 and the 8.8 which was a 12.0 car and you could lean on it anywhere with safety. Now that its a faster car you cant mash it in the corners anymore and you really have to find your spots to lean into it. It all happens pretty quick
Old 11-23-2017, 03:12 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

I saved it. Having nothing to lose I configured a way to press the pinion back up so with 28 tonne load and destressed it with a 12lb JFA and I managed to get a pattern back to somewhat ok levels. I road tested it last night with new bearings and the same gears and it was surprisingly smooth and quiet.

I had also bent the chromoly pinion yoke, the cross member twisted, bent the spohn torque arm ( thankfully its adjustable so a quick weld and voila ) and cracked the tunnel where the cross member mounted tqa goes. Crazy damage. All fixed now

The old 8.8 lives to fight another day. It should survive fairly well if I can keep away from too many hard launches from a dig
Old 11-23-2017, 03:23 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man reading posts like this makes me proud to have a custom built 8.8 in my 02 WS6 6 speed car thats awesome 15yrs of abuse wow.

Quick Reply: After almost 15 years and more abuse than you can imagine, my first 8.8 is done