Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Tapered bearing play?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2017, 02:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

How are you gauging the play with everything bolted in place as that is a very small amount of play, also is the center section in place when doing this?
Old 09-28-2017, 03:00 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MidwestChassis2
How are you gauging the play with everything bolted in place as that is a very small amount of play, also is the center section in place when doing this?
center section in place all fully assembled with axles 1/4" away from center pin. All measurements via dial indicator. Just want to say thank you for the support MWC. much appreciated!

i was under the impression there should be ZERO in out play on a tapered bearing bolt on axle.

am I wrong in thinking once the car sits on the ground the weight of the car will not let the play affect anything due to the load?
Old 09-28-2017, 04:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

Okay just checking I've seen people wonder about play in axles yet have no center section in place. No you may see a little bit, not uncommon when trying to match up different components from all different manufactures. The RTV I mentioned should take up that small amount of play you are mentioning but like the shop told you if you want to fine tune it you could make a inner diameter shim.

Look at it like trying to fine tune aftermarket brake calipers to be exactly 100% perfect, you will use shims to achieve that. Only time I have had to make an inner shim is with a recent set of Wilwood brakes. Even using factory backing plates and tin shields if someone ever took a wire wheel or sanding disc to the surface it would take a few thousands away.

With that said if you are using LS brakes do you have the factory tin shield installed?
Old 09-28-2017, 05:05 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MidwestChassis2
Okay just checking I've seen people wonder about play in axles yet have no center section in place. No you may see a little bit, not uncommon when trying to match up different components from all different manufactures. The RTV I mentioned should take up that small amount of play you are mentioning but like the shop told you if you want to fine tune it you could make a inner diameter shim.

Look at it like trying to fine tune aftermarket brake calipers to be exactly 100% perfect, you will use shims to achieve that. Only time I have had to make an inner shim is with a recent set of Wilwood brakes. Even using factory backing plates and tin shields if someone ever took a wire wheel or sanding disc to the surface it would take a few thousands away.

With that said if you are using LS brakes do you have the factory tin shield installed?
i used rtv on the outer seal surface as well as a bit on the backing plate, I am not using the dust shields. I am completely aware that all this mosh of different companies is bound to give me a hiccup somewhere but honestly I am just worried about the bearing eating itself. To me it seems that 6 thou up and down and 15 thou in and out won't cause that, especially once the load is applied and there is no way for t to move 6 thou up or down BUT I am not an expert hence me asking the pros lol.

Quick Reply: Tapered bearing play?