Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Needing a diff, any experience with S-trac / Wavetrac LSD, better choice than locker?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 05:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Needing a diff, any experience with S-trac / Wavetrac LSD, better choice than locker?

I am putting a together a 9” for a heavy full interior street car (2000 Camaro). I have a Strange iron 3.25” Pro-case and was looking to run a 35 spline detroit locker. I have run lockers on the street for many years and am fully aware of their 'idiosyncrasies' on the street. After doing a little more recent research it may have me leaning towards a Wavetrac or S-trac. I would like to hear from anyone with some real word experience with the helical gear LSDs. Maybe get a little better street manors and be close to the lockers toughness?

The car will remain “stock” rear suspension configuration (LCA / TA with Coil Springs), currently running Spohn CrMo with Del-Spheres on all ends. Expect to stay an Auto Trans and max RWHP to be 750 or so. I want this to be the last rear-end I build for this car. Any constructive input would be appreciated.

Below is a list of what I have got so far, still needing diff, gear & axles

9" 3ed member Strange N1906
Forged Aluminum Pinion support Strange N1917
Pinion Bearing Kit Strange N1916
Pinion Stud Kit ARP 250-3010
Pinion Shim Kit JEGS 555-61215
Oil Slinger Kit Yukon YSPBF023
Pinion Tail Bearing Strange N1940
Tail Bearing Retainer Strange N1941
Ring Gear bolts ARP 250-3002
Carrier Bearings Strange D1590
Housing Ends Moser 7900FM
Rear End Gasket 9" FelPro RDS55074
Chrome Moly Pinion Yoke Strange U1603
Pinion Yoke Spacer Strange N1918
HD U-joint CAP Strange U1610HD
Torque ARM bracket Moser 7230
Old 03-22-2018, 05:36 PM

Received 1,852 Likes on 1,152 Posts

FWIW-- I run a fab 9" with aluminum center and 4.30 gears. I went from a spool to a wavetrac. Have been very satisfied with the wavetrac. It restored my ability to use parking lots. When I get into it on the street it stays arrow straight even when spinning hard and making lots of smoke.
Old 03-23-2018, 01:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well...It looks like it will most likely be an 35 spline Strange S-Trac. It is always a compromise with a Street & Track driven car. If this was a drag car it would be s 40 spline spool no doubt. Granted I have had good luck with lockers on the street by running #40 springs in them, it tames down some of the aggressiveness, but you still have the enormous amount of back lash.

One thing that I have heard is the TorSen type diffs do not care, is for the total loss of traction on one wheel and, I see the following note in the Strange manual for the S-Trac:

Warning: In extreme situations damage to the unit can occur when one tire spins excessively fast compared to the other tire. An example of this would be when leaving the water box during a burnout. Typically one tire will dry up faster than the other creating an unequal traction situation which can cause an excessive difference in tire speeds. Care should be taken to avoid this situation.

Kind of makes me just a bit uneasy. With the locker I know for experience what i get (both the Good & the Bad) and I have not been able to make clutch LSDs live long. So guess I'm ready to try something different.

Sounds like a am overthinking the situation a bit...
Old 03-23-2018, 06:15 PM

Received 1,852 Likes on 1,152 Posts

Wavetrac has a lifetime warranty. That may figure into your calculations.
Old 03-25-2018, 08:07 PM
TECH Resident

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

I have an S-Trac in my S60. I have several dozen quarter mile trips and have no problem. I also pull a few feet away from the water box to start my burnout. I let off the brake and keep the tires smoking a few feet before letting off the gas. No problem whatsoever.