Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Moser/Wilwood Backing Plates - PLEASE HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 06:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Moser/Wilwood Backing Plates - PLEASE HELP!

About 3 years ago I bought a rolling chassis from a buddy of mine. The car has a Moser Fabricated M9 9" in it and the Wilwood brake kit with their parking brake. Me and 2 friends have built the car up and a few months ago it went a best ET of 9.7 with a best MPH of 139.99. We never touched anything on the rear end or the rear brakes when building the car but recently I decided to have the axle seals replaced, the passenger side was leaking pretty bad, and doing rear pads and rotors because they just weren't holding any boost at the line. So I drove the car about an hour south of me to a very respectable rear end shop in town. As I was exiting the freeway I lost brakes. Fortunately I was able to stop the car and not get into an accident. Upon further investigation, the brake caliper mounting bracket sheared off from the backing plate:

I had the car trailered back to my house, and started pulling things a part. I have part numbers for the backing plates, the brackets, the parking brake, and the caliper. So I call Wilwood, they dont recognize the part number on the backing plates. I call Moser, they cant break things down by part number because they only install things by the "kit". I am EXTREMELY frustrated and want to ask if anyone recognizes these part numbers or knows what "kit" i need to get.

The backing plates have a part number: CW 7548
The Parking Brake: 745K
The Caliper: LW-120-6806
The Bracket: R/H JW 6329
Moser Axle Housing Ends are: 7900FM
The Axle offset is 2.65

I can find the caliper on Summit. Thats it though. Can anyone help point me in the right direction?

Last edited by bluestreak98; 05-21-2018 at 09:37 AM.
Old 05-24-2018, 11:31 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Is this it? Bob

https://www.wilwood.com/Hardware/Bra...temno=250-7548

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 05-24-2018, 11:40 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob@BruteSpeed
That certainly looks like it.

At this point, i have given all the measurements from moser and I'm hoping that they can tell me what rear brake kit I need to buy. Ill have to piece it together from there since I need the calipers, the backing plates, and the parking brake assembly.

This has been such a cluster F.
Old 05-24-2018, 11:58 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by bluestreak98
That certainly looks like it.

At this point, i have given all the measurements from moser and I'm hoping that they can tell me what rear brake kit I need to buy. Ill have to piece it together from there since I need the calipers, the backing plates, and the parking brake assembly.

This has been such a cluster F.
I'm really surprised Wilwood couldn't help you out! Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 05-24-2018, 11:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 475 Likes on 365 Posts

I've installed a fair number of similar kits,, I see a couple things,, first,, I always use hard bolts with safety wire for the bolts that hold the bracket to the axle.. Second it looks like the bolts came out of the axle flange. If I recall the bolts go through the bracket in to the flange and you big them on, two of the bolts were sort of to provide alignment then got double duty holding parts together as well as alignment. Also save your money on the new rotors and just buy solid rotors, or maybe slotted if your street driving it much, avoid the drilled ones. They break easier and in drag racing your not doing sustained and repeated braking so your not really getting much if any benefit from the holes. In a hold at the line situation the solids have more contact area and do hold better.

You might also check with Coleman on that backing plate part number.. They used to build their own kits with Wilwood calipers and their own mounting stuff. I haven't talked to them lately but they really know their stuff on brake kits. They are also usually more receptive to the less run of the mill issues.

Good luck.

Last edited by pdxmotorhead; 05-24-2018 at 12:58 PM.