Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Moser 9" Drain Install

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2018, 07:07 PM
12 Second Club

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Default Moser 9" Drain Install

I do not have a drain on my housing. I desperately need to change fluid since it has been overheating and coming out the breather. The fluid is super old which is why I think it is doing this. So I think I just need to change out the fluid. I just got done with an AutoX and now the thing is whining pretty bad... I hope no permanent damage happened.

I have searched on this. But before I drill a hole in my housing. Anyone with experience on doing this? I plan to drill and NPT tap the hole and use a 3/8" drain plug. I understand people are drilling the hole on the flat off center. I have no idea how thick the case is. Is my plan going to work? I don't want to weld on a bung because I'm concerned about the burnt oil in the case.
Old 10-09-2018, 06:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I drilled and tapped my Moser 9" housing just like you described. It's not ideal, but it works fine. I used a 3/8npt as well. Sometimes the plug will weep a little oil due to the small amount of thread engagement. Last time I had it out I used some PTFE and it's been fine since.
Old 10-09-2018, 08:20 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

https://shop.brutespeed.com/Moser-72...Moser-7226.htm

You will have limited thread engagement if you don't weld in a bung. This is the one Moser uses. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 10-09-2018, 05:38 PM
12 Second Club

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Bob, thanks for link. I think based on both of your feedback the better way is really to weld a bung on. I have determined today, the gear whine is bad and after taking to a shop then concurred that it needs new gears. So when I have it torn apart I will just weld a bung on for a drain.... AND not wait for 10+ years of abuse to change the oil.

BTW nice 3rd gen.
Old 10-09-2018, 07:59 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 00PewterSS
Bob, thanks for link. I think based on both of your feedback the better way is really to weld a bung on. I have determined today, the gear whine is bad and after taking to a shop then concurred that it needs new gears. So when I have it torn apart I will just weld a bung on for a drain.... AND not wait for 10+ years of abuse to change the oil.

BTW nice 3rd gen.
You're welcome. Sounds like a good plan. Thanks. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website