Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

410s and TrueTrac or Strange 12 for 2000 M6 WS6 500hp

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 11:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 410s and TrueTrac or Strange 12 for 2000 M6 WS6 500hp

Going back and forth tonight about whether to stick with my original plan of swapping my 342s for gm410s with a new truetrac posi and keeping my stock rear or just saying **** it and getting a strange 12 overhaul.

I really want to do the gears bc with the cam the car just doesn’t seem to like the lower rpms. Understandably.

But with an m6 and 475hp and 465tqe to the wheels I feel like the $1400 I’m about to spend on the gears and posi might be a complete waste of money after one too many hard pulls with the T56 and NT05s.

Ive never been to the track. I’d like to try it at some point. The vehicle is used as a weekend car with spirited driving.

Just wondering if you were me would you just swap the whole rear out now, or pay half and hope for the best?

Does the new posi give more stability to the stock 10 bolt, and is it even worth me upgrading? In my nOOb brain im thinking $1400 now and $3000 later (if rear fails), or $3000 now for a bit of prevention...

And im sorry if this topic has been beat to death.... which I’m sure it has... I just have to make a decision.....

TIA guys.

Last edited by Tornadogward; 01-07-2019 at 11:58 PM.
Old 01-08-2019, 09:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

If you completely rebuild the 10 bolt, set it up properly and dont beat the hell out of it, it can take some abuse. One huge issue is IF you are paying for labor. I dont know what shops charge but if you break it and they charge you 3-500 bucks in labor for each repair, i agree it doesnt make much sense in the long run. If you can work on it yourself it makes sense because labor is free and stockish parts are cheap, so whatever you break wont hurt your pocket book much. All that being said if an aftermarket rear is in your budget Id go that direction.
Old 01-08-2019, 12:06 PM
TECH Regular

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I think aftermarket is key, especially with a manual and sticky tires. Don't get me wrong there have been plenty of 10-bolts mentioned in these and other forums that have handled fast passes and still haven't given up the ghost. If you do some searching it seems like opening up a 10-bolt is like opening up a can of worms. They just seem to start failing more and more often once you tear into them. Plenty of good options for bolt in aftermarket rear though (which also says a lot about the reliability of the 10-bolt).
Old 01-08-2019, 12:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

I don't think the trutrac is going to help much. It will hold the power better than the factory unit but what seems to brake most often are the gears themselves.

Now you say GM 4.10's and that's interesting. I bought a set myself. Seems like the softer OEM gears are less prone to shattering. That's the theory anyway.

Have you considered doing the gears yourself? It's not as scary as it seems. If you do you can do a gear swap for about $250 bucks.