Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Are marks on differential end yoke necesary?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2021, 09:03 PM
Teching In

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Are marks on differential end yoke necesary?

The car is 99 TA. I am replacing the differential seal and I already removed the yoke. Does it matter that I did not mark it for re-install? I meant to because I have seen some people do this when they drop the drive shaft. I ended up forgetting this step. I have read on some forums that some people say it does not matter because the shaft is independently balanced. Thank you in advance for your input.
Old 08-12-2021, 03:36 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 134 Likes on 118 Posts

If you look towards the forward end of the driveshaft you should see a balancing weight, so yes they are independently balanced. I've never marked the driveshaft/pinion for re-assembly.
Old 08-12-2021, 09:10 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by FirstYrLS1Z
If you look towards the forward end of the driveshaft you should see a balancing weight, so yes they are independently balanced. I've never marked the driveshaft/pinion for re-assembly.
Thank you for the input. I will not worry about it too much!
Old 08-12-2021, 09:44 AM
TECH Addict

Received 232 Likes on 184 Posts

The reason you mark the pinion NUT and pinion when replacing the seal is NOT to ensure you re-attach the driveshaft the same way it came apart, but to ensure when you replace the yoke and torque the nut you get the pinion bearing preload back to something close to proper values. If you didn't do that, good luck with obtaining proper pinion bearing preload. Now you'll need to pull it apart and start over with a new crush sleeve. You just turned an afternoon job into a multi-day-long thrash.
Old 08-12-2021, 09:56 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JohnnyBs98WS6Rag
The reason you mark the pinion NUT and pinion when replacing the seal is NOT to ensure you re-attach the driveshaft the same way it came apart, but to ensure when you replace the yoke and torque the nut you get the pinion bearing preload back to something close to proper values. If you didn't do that, good luck with obtaining proper pinion bearing preload. Now you'll need to pull it apart and start over with a new crush sleeve. You just turned an afternoon job into a multi-day-long thrash.
Thank you for the input. The good thing is that the car is in my garage still unfinished.

Quick Reply: Are marks on differential end yoke necesary?