Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

C-clip eliminators - Yes or no ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2005, 10:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default C-clip eliminators - Yes or no ?

Hey guys, its me again, still working on my rear project.

I've got a new question this time. I am considering the purchase of the c-clip eliminators and wanted to ask the opinions of you guys. Do you think they are something that is needed on a mild car ? When I am done the car will have 31 spline axles. It's an M6 and will eventually have about 400 rwhp. I don't plan to ever run much faster than high 11's, and the drag racing will be very occasional.

Also, I was thinking that with rear disc it is not as necessary, since the rotors and calipers will do a pretty good job of keeping the axle in the housing if I ever broke and axle.

I guess the only reason I can think of to use them would be to improve/reduce wear at the axle shaft/axle bearing junction.

Anyone have any thoughts ?
Old 01-15-2005, 10:50 PM
14 Second Truck Club

The bearings in a c-clip eliminator are actually not as drable as the regular bearings because they run in sealed grease, so it can get very hot in normal street diving.
The rear discs will hold the axle and wheel on in most cases (I havent seen a disc brake car lose a wheel, but I guess it could happen).
Also, what rear are you doing this to? I assume it is the stock 7.5, and there is no 31 spline upgrade for them that I have ever seen.
Old 01-15-2005, 10:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No, it is not a stock rear, going to be a 8.8 hybrid. Hadn't thought about the grease versus oil lubrication point, that is a very good point. I think I will definitely stick with the stock setup.

Thanks bud !
Old 01-16-2005, 06:39 AM
TECH Resident

I know nothing about the 8.8, but I thought the C-clip was a GM deal. I guess if not, I just learned something.
Old 01-16-2005, 10:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

8.8 has c-clips too.
Old 01-16-2005, 11:13 AM
14 Second Truck Club

Most car rears have c-clips with the exception of 9". Even the majority of OE 12 bolt rears from the 60's and 70's had c-clips(some did not), but the aftermarket ones did away with that.

Quick Reply: C-clip eliminators - Yes or no ?