Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

What does a worn axle bearing sound like?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2005, 10:55 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question What does a worn axle bearing sound like?

On the drive home from Purdue for MLK weekend, I noticed a pretty loud howling noise coming from the rearend. Symptoms:

--Steady howling, changes pitch with speed
--Sounds different accelerating vs. coasting
--Appears to be concentrated on driver's side (but it was tough to tell just looking over my shoulder to listen)
--Can barely hear it slower than 30mph

The sound appeared last fall when I did a 5K launch on street tires.

I've screwed up a gear install before, so I know what it sounds like when backlash is screwed up. This is not the same sound. (I should add that the gears were done by Speed Inc and had no noise until I did that particular launch). I just skimmed through the 250 search results for "axle bearing", and I think this is my problem.

Just wanted to get some more input. Thanks guys!
Old 01-16-2005, 11:11 AM
14 Second Truck Club

If the sound changes from drive to coast, it is most likely a gear noise. A bad wheel bearing sounds like a rumbling or humming noise usually, but is speed realted and wouldnt change on decel.
Old 01-16-2005, 11:31 AM
Launching!

I understand what you're saying... but this still sounds different than the gear sounds I've heard before. I think when it warms up I'll pull the axles and take a look.
Old 01-16-2005, 09:05 PM
TECH Regular

Try getting the car up onto a lift and turning the rear wheels by hand. Try to see if you can get your ear close and hear the noise. That's how we narrowed down the problem without pulling everything apart on the WS6. (Bearings on the driver's side rear...showed up after swapping 10-bolts and the one going in had been sitting for a few weeks.)
Old 02-10-2005, 08:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

It may be kind of late to help out with this, but I just got my car out of the shop.
I took it in because I was hearing a "pulsing" noise coming from the rear.
It ends up, my axle bearings went bad, and Pits were already forming on the Axles (both sides)..
Needless to say, 2 axles later, and $750 in parts and labor, the noise is gone.
It made the noise for probably 1-2 months.

"Pulsing" noise - Sounds like gears grinding, but not constant, like once every 2-3 seconds.

I've learned a good lesson from this, take it into the shop AS SOON as you hear a noise in the rear, of pay later.
Old 02-10-2005, 12:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

my car does this, as well as my old lt1 did. i just wait till things break, then i have an excuse to upgrade it would be nice to know the source of it though. its exactly how trax described it.

Quick Reply: What does a worn axle bearing sound like?