Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Backing plates

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2005, 08:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Backing plates

I'm going to order a 12 bolt tomm or friday and was wondering what all had to be changed over from my old rearend to the moser 12 bolt, i heard something about backing plates being tapped out or something and I also have traction control if that helps .. Thanks in advance
Old 01-18-2005, 11:16 PM
TECH Resident

Are you sure you want to go with the Moser? Are you going to pay someone else to check the gear set up. If it was me (and it was a month ago) I would go with a Strange. If you are concerned about downtime and want something that can be ordered and shipped with out having to pull your rear end, check with Billingsley Racing. They are a sponsor, and I believe they have everything needed to have Strange build your rear end complete for you so all you have to do is swap your brakes over and go. Granted this will cost you a little more, because I think he will supply the backing plates and reluctor rings for Strange. The reason Strange does this is so they can completely build your rear end, fill it with fluid, and test it. Moser just sends you the pieces. Also check this forum for ???'s about Moser customer service. FYI, I have the Moser 9" housing and Moser axles for my Billingsley street 9", but he went with Strange on the 3rd member (center section, differential, gears and gear set up, etc.).
Old 01-19-2005, 04:41 PM
Teching In

I have read good and bad about both of them and the moser is cheaper but I still need to know about the backing plates....
Old 01-19-2005, 07:07 PM
Teching In

anybody else
Old 01-19-2005, 07:10 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, you'll have to swap out the brake backing plates from your stock rear.
Old 01-19-2005, 07:23 PM
Teching In

How big of a job is that ? And what else has to be done before I can bolt it in...
Old 01-19-2005, 08:27 PM
11 Second Club

Make sure you know when you take them off what "L" and "R" are. That is referenced from the rear of the car (not when looking from the front like I did and got to do that step twice )
Old 01-19-2005, 08:30 PM
11 Second Club

Not that big of job. Yank your acels out of your old rear. then you can rempve your backing plates. Then press the new bearings that come with the Moser on the Moser axels after you slide the backing plates in the new axels. Then they bolt to the housing. It comes(or at least it did last year) with good direstions. if you dont have a press youll have to take it to a machine shop to do it. After that its pretty much bolting it in. Youll have to fill with fluid and drill a hole or 2 for emergency brake cables.
Old 01-19-2005, 09:49 PM
Staging Lane

I believe you have to take the cover off of the old rear and take the c clips out. Then the axles will slide out and then you can take off the plates. Personally I will never do business with Moser again.
Old 01-20-2005, 03:41 PM
Teching In

Ok what if I decided to get a rearend that didn't have TCS then it would be a direct bolt in or is there something you have to do for the ABS??????
Old 01-20-2005, 07:23 PM
Teching In

????????
Old 01-20-2005, 10:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by bowtiegirl
Ok what if I decided to get a rearend that didn't have TCS then it would be a direct bolt in or is there something you have to do for the ABS??????
If your car is factory equipped with TCS, more than likely it has reluctor rings behind the axle flanges. For the ABS/TCS systems to function, your new rearend will require these same rings and the signal they provide.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-21-2005, 06:02 PM
Staging Lane

ABS isnt hard to switch over, there should be a little piece with a wire going into it on the top of the pumpkin. I just had to unscrew mine with a ratchet and switch it over to the moser, then just reconnect the wire. Not sure about TCS...I dont have it.
Old 01-21-2005, 06:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Regardless of whether you keep the TCS or not, the backing plates for the brakes have to be transferred over from your stock rearend to the 12-bolt...hope this helps.
Old 04-21-2005, 05:53 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by mitchotoole
ABS isnt hard to switch over, there should be a little piece with a wire going into it on the top of the pumpkin. I just had to unscrew mine with a ratchet and switch it over to the moser, then just reconnect the wire. Not sure about TCS...I dont have it.
I know this post is old, but yes the 4 channel cars are MUCH different. There is nothing on the top of the pumpkin with a 4 channel setup.

If you have ABS and TCS then you have 4 channel ABS and you will have to remove your backing plates and reluctor rings which requires pulling the axles...this much I know for sure.

Last edited by SSkeet; 04-21-2005 at 06:40 PM.