Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

looking for a locker for moser 9in rear

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2005, 06:52 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default looking for a locker for moser 9in rear

i know i thought id post this here as well to see if i can get more replys on this.

im looking for a 35 spline locker that will work with a moser 9in rear. have a spool now but its to much for the street for me. if you have one for sell please let me know im in need for somethign that will be more streetable.
Eddie
Old 01-30-2005, 11:47 PM
TECH Resident

I am still on the fence on this one. I just installed a 9" rear with a 35 spline True trac locker and it is almost unbearable. It feels like I am towing a car behind me with a short chain. Anytime I let up to go around a corner and then ease back into the throttle it jerks, bangs, pops, etc. I am not totally convinced that it is being caused by the locker, but it sure seems that way. By the way, I have a fairly high tolerance for this stuff to, so it is not like I expect it to be smooth as silk. I drove a 77 Camaro with a solid flat tappet 355 with a Muncie 4 speed and 12 bolt with homemade spool (posi unit with new clutches and shimmed so tight it would not slip) and 4.56's in high school years ago and it never bothered me (other than cruising at 3500 rpms doing about 60). Then I rode a ZX-11 Ninja as my only transportation for about 3 years. So I feel I have a fairly high tolerance for annoyance when it comes to modified vehicles, but so far this is exceeding my tolerance. I plan on taking it to an alignment shop this week and we are going to check the rear end alignment and while it is up there see if we can figure out where all the play and noises are coming from. I know with the emergency brake set, I can rotate the driveshaft about 1/8 of a turn before taking the slack out of the locker. I know it is not the backlash, because I checked that before the center section was bolted up.
Old 01-31-2005, 12:45 AM
10 Second Club

please let me know what you find out at the shop you go to. i dont know i have a high tolerance allso for this stuff. but with this spool i will go nuts. drive done a road or hwy its fine but dont dare slow down and turn in to a drive way cause all hell breaks lose and feels like the car going to fall apart from clunking shaking so bad. iv asked alot of ppl on here that has spools and the yall say no prob driveing it i call a big BS on this one.
Old 01-31-2005, 02:10 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by silverZ98
please let me know what you find out at the shop you go to. i dont know i have a high tolerance allso for this stuff. but with this spool i will go nuts. drive done a road or hwy its fine but dont dare slow down and turn in to a drive way cause all hell breaks lose and feels like the car going to fall apart from clunking shaking so bad. iv asked alot of ppl on here that has spools and the yall say no prob driveing it i call a big BS on this one.
LOL, some people have to choose between durability and streetability. I don't want no freakin' spool either though...
Old 01-31-2005, 05:44 PM
10 Second Club

i got it a little better today le the air in tires out to about 27psi from 40 and it helped guess it gave more give in the side wall. but i still think ill try a locker or sell this thing and try something else. got a good deal on rear thats why i got it. and im tired of breaking rear been threw 4 alone last year
Old 01-31-2005, 06:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Look at the Strange with the Detroit soft locker. I just had one installed and it seems to be a good unit.