Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Dana 60

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2005, 09:50 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Dana 60

Has anyone ever put a Dana 60 in a newer 4th gen car? If so what was involved, is there abs mods out there for it?
Old 02-07-2005, 10:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

I heard Strange might do a setup awhile back, but most people think it is a waste. The Dana gives a stronger housing, but it's usually not the housing that breaks on 12 bolts or 9 inches. I don't know if anyone has broken a 9 inch with a spool. The Dana 60 just weighs more, takes more power to run, and is unneeded IMO.
Old 02-07-2005, 10:57 PM
TECH Resident

Actually I heard that the Dana 60 is more effecient than the 9". Supposedly it is stronger than the 12 bolt and more effecient than the 9". That said, I have only heard of leaf spring and older coil spring applications (Chevelles, Malibu's, Buick GS, etc.).

Last edited by BOWTIE; 02-07-2005 at 11:03 PM. Reason: addition
Old 02-07-2005, 11:39 PM
12 Second Club

Default humm..

Well I didn't think I would find anything using the search option, cause I usually don't have much luck with it. But this time I was surprised. I found this article that a guy had so graciously posted.

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/80918/index1.html

I have a friend that was planning on using one in his 3rd gen T/A. So that got me to thinking about the Dana and how easy they are to come by down here with all the 4X4ing and Farm Trucks. The only concern I would have would be the ABS but I can always just delete it right, with and Editor right? I like the idea of putting it in and forgetting about it.
Old 02-08-2005, 08:24 AM
On The Tree

The Ford 9" is one if not the most universal built axle on the market. A D60 has its advantages in other categories mostly based on what it was designed for. The D60/70 rear end has a much thicker axle housing, 35 splined axle shafts (this varies), and some came with the option of full floater. This of course, was all based around heavy towing and payload capacity. If somebody does take the time to machine axleshafts that are 5/6 lug to eliminate the stock 8 lug, your left with a beefy housing filled with 35 spline axleshafts, when very easily you could build a 35 spline Ford 9 for typically the same price (not to mention the ba$tard wouldnt be as heavy). I guess it wouldnt be a waste of time if you wanted to be different, but a Ford 9 with a truss job, 35 spline carrier and axleshafts will hold up to plenty abuse especially for what most F-body's have to dish out.

Last edited by studlybilly; 02-08-2005 at 08:33 AM.
Old 02-08-2005, 08:31 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by w02ramair
Well I didn't think I would find anything using the search option, cause I usually don't have much luck with it. But this time I was surprised. I found this article that a guy had so graciously posted.

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/80918/index1.html

I have a friend that was planning on using one in his 3rd gen T/A. So that got me to thinking about the Dana and how easy they are to come by down here with all the 4X4ing and Farm Trucks. The only concern I would have would be the ABS but I can always just delete it right, with and Editor right? I like the idea of putting it in and forgetting about it.
So, they gain 50 lbs in weight, to choose a 30 spline D60? They gained 2 splines there, they'da been just a good off with a chrysler 9-1/4 w/ forged axles and probably much lighter to. For the record, D60's rear ends can be had fairly cheap. For the cash your about to spend on swapping just build a Ford 9 starting from a Moser bolt in housing. That or truss your stock 10 bolt, use a detroit C Locker (only carrier that'll hold up), and throw some moser forged axleshafts in there. Save you a lot of headaches.
Old 02-08-2005, 09:30 AM
14 Second Truck Club

A Dana 60 is stronger than both a 12 bolt and 9". It has a 9.75" ring gear and came stock with up to 35 spline. They are very heavy duty and are the rears that came in the Hemi muscle cars. You can get 4 pinion HD cases for them, and parts are cheap.
But they are heavy and harder to work on then a 9".
Old 02-08-2005, 10:23 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by mzoomora
A Dana 60 is stronger than both a 12 bolt and 9". It has a 9.75" ring gear and came stock with up to 35 spline. They are very heavy duty and are the rears that came in the Hemi muscle cars. You can get 4 pinion HD cases for them, and parts are cheap.
But they are heavy and harder to work on then a 9".
I'd put my bottom dollar on a trussed 9 built with 35 spline guts that if not on the same level it would damn near over compete, D60's are cool.....if your in a quad cab truck hauling a horse trailer up a mountain....with a diesel.
Old 02-08-2005, 10:53 AM
14 Second Truck Club

Before the aftermarket caught up with the 9" stuff all the serious drag racers had Dana 60's. Including top fuel, etc. Now they all run specially designed diffs. A Dana 60 can be built to the same strength as a 9" for far less money, and stronger with equal money. One of the main reasons for 9" popularity is the fact that you can change ratios at the track, and they are used in many forms of motorsports which makes different parts available. Off road guys can be the hardest on rears, and almost all of them would pick a Dana 60 over a 9" for strength. If you saw a Dana 60 Power-lok nest to a 9" Trac-lok, or any 9" diff for that matter, you would see where a big part of the strength comes from. Also keep in mind that 35 spline diffs came stock in Dana 60's, and the limited slip diffs can be bought for under $300- you can beat that price for a 35 spline posi.
Old 02-08-2005, 11:14 AM
On The Tree

Before the aftermarket caught up with the 9" stuff all the serious drag racers had Dana 60's. Including top fuel, etc. Now they all run specially designed diffs. A Dana 60 can be built to the same strength as a 9" for far less money, and stronger with equal money. One of the main reasons for 9" popularity is the fact that you can change ratios at the track, and they are used in many forms of motorsports which makes different parts available. Off road guys can be the hardest on rears, and almost all of them would pick a Dana 60 over a 9" for strength. If you saw a Dana 60 Power-lok nest to a 9" Trac-lok, or any 9" diff for that matter, you would see where a big part of the strength comes from. Also keep in mind that 35 spline diffs came stock in Dana 60's, and the limited slip diffs can be bought for under $300- you can beat that price for a 35 spline posi.
A. I dont see where its cheaper to build a D60, also keep in mind unless you get the worthless 30 spliner's, they came in 8 lug (most one ton rears came in 8 lug regaurdless). Yes drag racers have the cool ones....but not ever backyard redneck has a mill/lathe/CNC machine now does he?
B. Yes offroad guys choose d60's, however, we have different stress situations. If I'm 3 wheelin up a rock boulder, my axle is not only bouncing 39-44" tires, its sliding and sometimes if my spotter sucks ramming into rocks. Complete different opposition as opposed to at a track with a slick and a torque load, which a lot of problems reside here with housing flex.
C. I have seen many diffs/carriers/anything for that matter side by side, I build all of my own axles and have built/experimented enough to judge strength factors between any Dana or any axle you'd like to.
D. I'd like for you to emphasize how you think building a D60 is cheaper? Being as I've built many one ton drivetrains I'll confidentally say thats not true, no offense but its honestly not true. Unless your using in comparison with building a moser housing'd nodular 3rd 35spline detroited forged axle'd FOrd 9"? Then you can use comparison of fully redoing a D60 (including cutting it down/mounts fab'd etc.). The price would be close if not probably cheaper to do the Ford 9. In fact I'd bank on that especially after buying the D60 rear end to start off with.
E. Your glorifying different axle types to much, you gotta understand the simplicity of axles. There housings, diffs/carriers, shafts, and if a front end knuckles. With a D60 rear end you get either 8lug 35 spline, or the pointless 30 spliner with 5/6 lug. Tell me a draumatic difference between building a Ford 9" with 35 spline guts and a D60 with 35spline guts and you'll realize the only defense is the housing thickness (which on the rear ends isnt anything post draumatic) and thats not counting on how thick the moser bolt in housings are which I'm unsure of. Unless your still stuck on believing you can do it cheaper. In offroading sure, it makes things more simple to run a D60 front, and a 14bolt/10.25 sterling rear end. But for versatility sake Ford 9's are popular for drag racing.

Last edited by studlybilly; 02-08-2005 at 11:19 AM.
Old 02-08-2005, 11:54 AM
14 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by studlybilly
A. I dont see where its cheaper to build a D60, also keep in mind unless you get the worthless 30 spliner's, they came in 8 lug (most one ton rears came in 8 lug regaurdless). Yes drag racers have the cool ones....but not ever backyard redneck has a mill/lathe/CNC machine now does he?
B. Yes offroad guys choose d60's, however, we have different stress situations. If I'm 3 wheelin up a rock boulder, my axle is not only bouncing 39-44" tires, its sliding and sometimes if my spotter sucks ramming into rocks. Complete different opposition as opposed to at a track with a slick and a torque load, which a lot of problems reside here with housing flex.
C. I have seen many diffs/carriers/anything for that matter side by side, I build all of my own axles and have built/experimented enough to judge strength factors between any Dana or any axle you'd like to.
D. I'd like for you to emphasize how you think building a D60 is cheaper? Being as I've built many one ton drivetrains I'll confidentally say thats not true, no offense but its honestly not true. Unless your using in comparison with building a moser housing'd nodular 3rd 35spline detroited forged axle'd FOrd 9"? Then you can use comparison of fully redoing a D60 (including cutting it down/mounts fab'd etc.). The price would be close if not probably cheaper to do the Ford 9. In fact I'd bank on that especially after buying the D60 rear end to start off with.
E. Your glorifying different axle types to much, you gotta understand the simplicity of axles. There housings, diffs/carriers, shafts, and if a front end knuckles. With a D60 rear end you get either 8lug 35 spline, or the pointless 30 spliner with 5/6 lug. Tell me a draumatic difference between building a Ford 9" with 35 spline guts and a D60 with 35spline guts and you'll realize the only defense is the housing thickness (which on the rear ends isnt anything post draumatic) and thats not counting on how thick the moser bolt in housings are which I'm unsure of. Unless your still stuck on believing you can do it cheaper. In offroading sure, it makes things more simple to run a D60 front, and a 14bolt/10.25 sterling rear end. But for versatility sake Ford 9's are popular for drag racing.
How is it not cheaper to build a Dana 60? You can buy a 35 spline posi for $300, any compareable in 35 spline for a 9" is at least $200 more, trust me I have the prices right here.
Dana 60 housings are everywhere, and cheap. You can buy a Dana 4.10 WITH BEARINGS for just over $200, and that is a Dana gear set- OEM. Not to mention that a 4.88, 5.13, 5.38, 5.86, 6.17, 7.17 are all stocking ratios for a Dana 60 and can be had for a similar price.
When you build a Dana there is no $3-400 3rd member to buy just to switch to 35 spline, they are already made for 35 spline. Saving lots of money.
As far as cutting housings, how does that add cost? You would have to do the same for a custom 9".
8 lug axles, who cares? You would have to have custom axles made anyway seeing as how a 9" was never made with a 4.75" bolt pattern or in the proper length for an F-body (or over 90% of GM vehicles). Again, that cost doenst even matter, it would be the same.
If you were to buy a junk yard 9" housing to cut down it would not have near the strength/rigidity of a similar salvage yard Dana 60- again saving money. Spend the money on a braced 9" housings, or even brace it yourself. The materials arent free, and if you cant do it yourself neither is the labor.
You talk about strength of rears and glorifying them. Rears are housings, cases, gears, etc- all of which in a Dana 60 are stronger. You say that a 30 spline (1.31 diam.) Dana 60 is worthless, then that must make a 31 spline(1.32 diam- only a .01" difference) 9" worthless also.
30 spline to 31 spline the price would be close, but the dana would still have a stronger gear, housing, diff case (just from shear size alone).
35 to 35- The Dana would be cheaper and stronger- if you dont see how, read the post. I do this stuff for my job, trust me I speak from experience with my own and many customer vehicles. 9" is a great axle, versitile, strong, and many parts available. But strength per dollar it doesnt even compare with a Dana 60.
Old 02-08-2005, 12:16 PM
On The Tree

How is it not cheaper to build a Dana 60? You can buy a 35 spline posi for $300, any compareable in 35 spline for a 9" is at least $200 more, trust me I have the prices right here.
Well where your looking sucks, 35 spline Detroits are usually cheaper than the common 28-31 spline stock Ford 9 carriers
Dana 60 housings are everywhere, and cheap. You can buy a Dana 4.10 WITH BEARINGS for just over $200, and that is a Dana gear set- OEM. Not to mention that a 4.88, 5.13, 5.38, 5.86, 6.17, 7.17 are all stocking ratios for a Dana 60 and can be had for a similar price.
Not everywhere, keep in mind some places treasures go unseen, down here in Florida I can snag Ford 9's all day long for that price if not cheaper.
When you build a Dana there is no $3-400 3rd member to buy just to switch to 35 spline, they are already made for 35 spline. Saving lots of money.
As far as cutting housings, how does that add cost? You would have to do the same for a custom 9".
Moser housings are bolt in.
8 lug axles, who cares? You would have to have custom axles made anyway seeing as how a 9" was never made with a 4.75" bolt pattern or in the proper length for an F-body (or over 90% of GM vehicles). Again, that cost doenst even matter, it would be the same.
They can machine some extremely stout spacers to change bolt pattern. However, I've yet to find a machine shop that could take one ton 8 lug stuff and turn it into 5/6 lug? Not even Moser when I called and asked. Dynatrac does this with front ends, but now your easily talking way out of affordable reach. Possibly you can point out a supplier that does and steal the cookie from me on this one.
If you were to buy a junk yard 9" housing to cut down it would not have near the strength/rigidity of a similar salvage yard Dana 60- again saving money. Spend the money on a braced 9" housings, or even brace it yourself. The materials arent free, and if you cant do it yourself neither is the labor.
You talk about strength of rears and glorifying them. Rears are housings, cases, gears, etc- all of which in a Dana 60 are stronger. You say that a 30 spline (1.31 diam.) Dana 60 is worthless, then that must make a 31 spline(1.32 diam- only a .01" difference) 9" worthless also.
31 spline 9" is the biggest 9 you can get, others were 28. Yes the D60 30 spliner is worthless, whats the point of hauling that heavy/big a$$ housing when a trussed 9 will get the job done just as good if not better with an extra spline. BTW...you can get some fairly stout truss kits for merely 100 bucks, lets see if thats right in front of you? Bet you cant tell me the wall tube thickness of a Ford 9 and then a D60 housing?
30 spline to 31 spline the price would be close, but the dana would still have a stronger gear, housing, diff case (just from shear size alone).
*chuckles* Do you know what c lockers are rated at? Unless your speaking of lockrite/ez lockers which they suck for any high power application even if you could put one in a rockwell. Go put a HD ford 9" Ring gear next to the D60 and get back with me....when you realize there the same thickness. From the shear size? So automatically bigger is better?
35 to 35- The Dana would be cheaper and stronger- if you dont see how, read the post. I do this stuff for my job, trust me I speak from experience with my own and many customer vehicles. 9" is a great axle, versitile, strong, and many parts available. But strength per dollar it doesnt even compare with a Dana 60.
Sure the D60 is strong, but mattering on how you apply it its a waste to most situations. You dont NEED, a D60 behind a street nor drag car, a 35 spline trussed 9 will do more than what you ask of it. Know local guys running single digits in the 1/4 with this combo. If you feel like enduring headaches and doing everything possible to fab a D60 housing to bolt in then thats your business. If there so great...then why hasnt moser come up with a bolt in 60 for the F-body? Or anyone for that matter? Because flat out a 9" can be built to handle the same strength if not more for the price. This is an arguement that could go on for hours, I'll put my faith in a built Ford 9 knowing I can build one for the same price as if I was to build a D60, you'll put yours in a D60. In the end neither one of us will seem right to anybody but ourselves. Its all in the eye of the beholder, you speak of experience, well so do I...As so advanced discount auto parts guys but they'll swear they can get you a water pump for a 1974 VW beetle. I'm not going to challenge you on which is stronger or cheaper anymore, I'll leave on a note of saying there both strong and can both be done for the same price in practical.

Last edited by studlybilly; 02-08-2005 at 12:30 PM.
Old 02-08-2005, 02:17 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Dude, you are arguing with yourself. You are comparing expensive aftermarket parts to stock Dana parts. That $200 is for a Brand new Dana gear set with brand new bearings, shims, bolts, nut and washer, gasket, all genuine stuff.
Sure a Moser is bolt in, but at what cost? You could buy a bolt in 60 too for the right money. That completely goes against your cost thing.
As far a a 9" only being up to 31 spline, that is the stock ones, You can buy aftermarket up to 40 spline. You talk about how strong a locker for a 9" is, the same locker for a 60 is going to be that much stronger at close to the same price.
Weight, how much do you think a fully dressed 9" weighs? They are not light at all. Sure a Dana is heavier, but not by much. You could go with more expensive components to lighten the 9", but then you would be defeating the purpose of the 9" being cheaper.
Also, just to let you in on something- there is no such thing as a HD 9", that is just advertising. Any 2 9" gear sets with the same ratio and tooth counts are going to be nearly identical in size, which is nearly 1" in diameter SMALLER than a 60.
You dont think size matters in gears? Go talk to NHRA pro classes where they use 9.75" and bigger, up past 11".

You missed the begining of the post where the guy was asking about custom Dana 60's. The whole 8 lug argument doesnt apply, neither does cutting housings, etc. You are talking to somebody in the buisness who deals with companies like Strange, Currie, etc every day. You say it is cheaper but add 35 spline axles/ 3rd members/ larger bearings, housing braces, lockers, custom housings, etc.
Call Strange and ask them to price a street/strip housing for a Dana 60 in 35 spline, then ask for the same in a 9". Pick a car they definetly make both for, like a 78-87 G-body. Price them both with spools or lockers, whatever, just the same components. Their S/T axles, a street gear set, 1350 yolk. When you are done you can come back and admit that you were wrong, because you are. I already checked the prices- I have their price sheet in front of me.

To the original poster- I apologize for this thread getting steered away from you. You can build a Dana 60 bullet proof for a very low price. You might not be able to keep your ABS, etc, but for an all out drag car it would be a great choice. Also keep in mind that the article posted earlier was comparing the Dana to a 8.75 Chrys which is lighter and more efficient than a 9", so the ET difference would not be as great when comparing it to a 9", but you would probably give up some.

This will be the last post I make on this subject.
Old 02-08-2005, 02:59 PM
On The Tree

Dude, you are arguing with yourself. You are comparing expensive aftermarket parts to stock Dana parts. That $200 is for a Brand new Dana gear set with brand new bearings, shims, bolts, nut and washer, gasket, all genuine stuff.
No I'm pretty sure last time I checked me and you were arguing....Just checked again and it turns out were definitely arguing.
Sure a Moser is bolt in, but at what cost? You could buy a bolt in 60 too for the right money.
So you finally admit there truly is no price difference? Just more headache in trying to get the D60 to work?
That completely goes against your cost thing.
As far a a 9" only being up to 31 spline, that is the stock ones, You can buy aftermarket up to 40 spline. You talk about how strong a locker for a 9" is, the same locker for a 60 is going to be that much stronger at close to the same price.
My comment on the locker strength was counter-acting yours upon saying how superior the D60 carrier was over the 9". Congratulations, your small inquiry to the 9" locker being the same strength is a small step to where were headed. I still dont see your resolution to the 35 spline 8 lug problem? Hell I'm curious myself to see just how in the hell your going to get a 35 spline shaft to spec in a 5/6 lug?
Weight, how much do you think a fully dressed 9" weighs? They are not light at all. Sure a Dana is heavier, but not by much. You could go with more expensive components to lighten the 9", but then you would be defeating the purpose of the 9" being cheaper.
Not by much? Holy but f*ck batman have you ever picked either up? Huge difference. The 9" with a truss would be light enough, WTF else are you gonna use to lighten it up more? A spool(which is even cheaper)? I hope you realize every lb matters.
Also, just to let you in on something- there is no such thing as a HD 9", that is just advertising. Any 2 9" gear sets with the same ratio and tooth counts are going to be nearly identical in size, which is nearly 1" in diameter SMALLER than a 60.
Sure there are, there's a normal duty and a heavy duty 9" gear. Here's me letting you in on something (since were doing this whole gay secret thing now), a HD gear is set completely different than a normal duty gear, the sacrifice here is extreme gear noise with the HD use. Sometimes they call it "thick" as well.
You dont think size matters in gears? Go talk to NHRA pro classes where they use 9.75" and bigger, up past 11".
Never said size doesnt matter, but I hope you do know the more diameter the more leverage it endures. Well you've now shot off twice now, first with 4x4 guys and now with NHRA guys. Stay on subject, lets hear about some guys like this fella will be. A street driven/drag car, I'm sure some of the combinations the pro stock/mod guys are using would foresee both of our budgets in one rear end. Let alone Mud drag guys will actually use the 7.5" 10 bolt for clearance and lightness.
You missed the begining of the post where the guy was asking about custom Dana 60's. The whole 8 lug argument doesnt apply, neither does cutting housings, etc. You are talking to somebody in the buisness who deals with companies like Strange, Currie, etc every day. You say it is cheaper but add 35 spline axles/ 3rd members/ larger bearings, housing braces, lockers, custom housings, etc.
Call Strange and ask them to price a street/strip housing for a Dana 60 in 35 spline, then ask for the same in a 9". Pick a car they definetly make both for, like a 78-87 G-body. Price them both with spools or lockers, whatever, just the same components. Their S/T axles, a street gear set, 1350 yolk. When you are done you can come back and admit that you were wrong, because you are. I already checked the prices- I have their price sheet in front of me.
The 8 lug arguement does apply, I even out of generousity gave you a chance to fess up on a 35 spline axleshaft with a 5/6 lug cap machined into it that'll work? Because I've yet to find one. I wont admit anything wrong, because as I've stated yet your to ignorant to admit, neither of us will look right on this. Its an arguement that I've seen used from offroading and now to drag racing. "this is cheaper and more bulletproof". Bulletproof and cheap dont go hand in hand and in all necessity, nothing is quite so bulletproof. you probably just wont ever use either to its optimum.
To the original poster- I apologize for this thread getting steered away from you. You can build a Dana 60 bullet proof for a very low price. You might not be able to keep your ABS, etc, but for an all out drag car it would be a great choice. Also keep in mind that the article posted earlier was comparing the Dana to a 8.75 Chrys which is lighter and more efficient than a 9", so the ET difference would not be as great when comparing it to a 9", but you would probably give up some.
Well since were now looking so innocent, I too will apologize, and wish the original poster the best of luck in his quest for the dominal D60

This will be the last post I make on this subject.
Oh feel free to bring it to PM, I by no means am trying to chase anybody away. I love a good heated debate, and in the end if I'm truly outdone I more than happily oblige to the person thats right. However, if you stop misleading your arguement and realize your arguement was that a D60 setup can be done cheaper than a moser 9 then maybe you'll stop instigating me on things I meant (like the arguement being about 8 lug axleshafts....which you've yet to answer on).
Old 02-08-2005, 03:52 PM
14 Second Truck Club

OK, I lied, it wasnt my last post. PLEASE read these links and notice the
-only 30 lbs different
-$700 lower cost for similar package(both with 35 spline) you can subtract some of that for the 9" coming with a locker, but even with their lower grade S/S 31 spline axles and a trac lock it is still $500 more- "WITH CRAPPY 31 SPLINE AXLES."
-Also read how they praise the Dana 60 -"there is no better choice than a Dana 60 rear end"
-Like I said before- custom axles completly solves the 8 lug problem, either choice would need them.

Do you think you know more than they do? It is all there in writing, prices and all. Please, read it all, look it over, learn a thing or two.

OK?
OK?
OK?
Strange Catalog- Check pages 55, 56, 43

I bet you were thinking it was more than 30 lbs, werent you? Sure it is a lot, but when you are talking the difference between 220 and 250, not that HUGE.
You are wrong, you are , and the verdict is officially in writing.

In the voice of Apu,
"Thank you, come again"
Old 02-08-2005, 04:02 PM
On The Tree

OK, I lied, it wasnt my last post. PLEASE read these links and notice the
-only 30 lbs different
-$700 lower cost for similar package(both with 35 spline) you can subtract some of that for the 9" coming with a locker, but even with their lower grade S/S 31 spline axles and a trac lock it is still $500 more- "WITH CRAPPY 31 SPLINE AXLES."
-Also read how they praise the Dana 60 -"there is no better choice than a Dana 60 rear end"
-Like I said before- custom axles completly solves the 8 lug problem, either choice would need them.

Do you think you know more than they do? It is all there in writing, prices and all. Please, read it all, look it over, learn a thing or two.

OK?
OK?
OK?
Strange Catalog- Check pages 55, 56, 43

I bet you were thinking it was more than 30 lbs, werent you? Sure it is a lot, but when you are talking the difference between 220 and 250, not that HUGE.
You are wrong, you are , and the verdict is officially in writing.

In the voice of Apu,
"Thank you, come again"
So glad for you to join us again princess (being as you werent posting on this again sposidly). SO what buildup are you using in comparison? Tell you what, you scrummage together your little D60 swap in full detail and price. And if your cowardness shows and you leave out a few things thats for you to sleep with yourself at night. I'll put together a moser 9" buildup and we'll compare? Now thats everything to the "T", bolt in housing, 35 spline axleshafts, detroit locker etc. Deal? Or are you going to go and hide behind someone elses opinion again. I can find plenty of places praising how great the Ford 9" is.

30 lbs is a lot. Especially stating what your comparing is same in strength.

In the voice of Rodney King (being as now were paraphrasing other people with 3rd grade intellect):
"Show me the money"

Last edited by studlybilly; 02-08-2005 at 04:09 PM.
Old 02-08-2005, 04:29 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Pages 43, 55, 66. Similar bolt-in packages, minus brakes. With 35 spline axles and a locker it will add up to $500 difference. With the 9" getting 31 spline lower grade axles and a limited slip itis still $500 more. That would make the Dana 60 from the same company both stronger and cheaper. I have proven my point. If you wish to shop Moser or anybody else, go ahead, you will find similar results. Strange Engineering is a well respected company that has been around for a long time. They are impartial seeing as how they sell both the 9" and Dana 60, and make both.
You are obviously the type of person who cannot understand that a company like Strange knows more than you do, and so do I.
Old 02-08-2005, 04:54 PM
On The Tree

Pages 43, 55, 66. Similar bolt-in packages, minus brakes. With 35 spline axles and a locker it will add up to $500 difference. With the 9" getting 31 spline lower grade axles and a limited slip itis still $500 more. That would make the Dana 60 from the same company both stronger and cheaper. I have proven my point. If you wish to shop Moser or anybody else, go ahead, you will find similar results. Strange Engineering is a well respected company that has been around for a long time. They are impartial seeing as how they sell both the 9" and Dana 60, and make both.
You are obviously the type of person who cannot understand that a company like Strange knows more than you do, and so do I.
No dont compare out the door prices. Since your captain axle and all that. I want to see your buildup. You go and buy a D60, you build it up/ cut it down. I dont care what a supplier does, anybody who buys an axle outright from a supplier apparently doesnt know how to build them. I want to see what it will cost you since its cheaper to a D60 swap, you get a D60, cut it down to fit under an F body, pay for custom axle shafts. Hell I'll even make it more difficult on myself and start with a bare Ford 9" housing and price it out to cut it down etc. All brand new 35 spline internals and everything (I'll even do a moser bolt in to boot). Since your so knowledgeabe on this stuff maybe you'll stop beating around the bush and get down to it.
Old 02-08-2005, 05:03 PM
On The Tree

OMFG after really taking time to read what you put, I realize how defenseless you are. What are you gonna do with a bare D60? Look at it? Do you plan on zip tieing this ba$tard under the car? Then why in the hell would you go "Bolt on similars" Bwahahhaah that thing isnt going to bolt itself on. ROFLMFAO
Old 02-08-2005, 05:05 PM
On The Tree

Tell you what captain amazing, Take that D60, put those shiny Disc brakes on it. And give a total. Then I'll demolish your stupid antic by building a BOLT ON FOrd 9" with everything that D60 has to boot...Hell I'll even do a Spool AND Detroit price (not cheap LSD unit).

Quick Reply: Dana 60