Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Another Gear Whine Thread...

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2005, 11:48 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Another Gear Whine Thread...

Old topic, sorry. I want to know details though. My Strange 12 bolt was fairly quiet when it was brand new. Since then, I have taken it to the track, and put some hard passes on it.

I had some wheelhop issues, and one time I misshifted and threw the M6 in 2nd at 88 mph.

The sucker is pretty loud now. I am not really afraid of it breaking, because there was only a little metal in the fluid when I changed it. The howling is especially loud in 5th or 6th at 70 mph. LOUD. But it is only with acceleration or holding speed. As soon as I take the foot off the gas, instant silence. And as soon as I tap the accelerator, whine and howl return.

Can someone tell me about the noise under acceleration only? Ring and pinion set up? Or do you think think it is "trauma" oriented? I've only run Nittos on it thus far.
Old 02-08-2005, 12:15 PM
14 Second Truck Club

I would say it is Traums related, especially if it wasnt there before. It probably bent some pinion teeth (it happens). It may not live as long as it was going to, but probably wont affect it in your application unless you inflict more serious trauma. Drive side noise is common, as is coast side, but you usually dont get both at once.

I just wanted to say TRAUMA one more time, makes me feel like a Doctor and takes me back to EMT school.
Old 02-08-2005, 01:56 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by mzoomora
I would say it is Traums related, especially if it wasnt there before. It probably bent some pinion teeth (it happens). It may not live as long as it was going to, but probably wont affect it in your application unless you inflict more serious trauma. Drive side noise is common, as is coast side, but you usually dont get both at once.

I just wanted to say TRAUMA one more time, makes me feel like a Doctor and takes me back to EMT school.
Yeah, just the drive side makes noise. And perhaps I used that term because I too was an EMT...

Old 08-11-2005, 08:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

This is an old *** thread but just wondering if anyone else has some input on this topic? I have the exact same issue with my car going on right now. 1st/2nd/3rd/4th sounds just fine, no whine or howl at all. Once I get in to 5th or 6th gear and going say 50mph+ the rear starts to make a god awful howling sound. There's no thumping or extreme metal on metal contact noises going on, but it definately doesn't sound good. It's a 10 bolt with an Eaton HD Posi and Motive 4.11's. I have noticed theres a very slight whine when the car is out of gear and I'm coasting to a stop. That sound wasn't there before it started to howl in the upper gears.

Just wondering if it's going to be safe to drive the suck ~60 miles to a friend of mines shop for them to repair it or if I should suck it up and swap the rear out with my old stock 3.42 then transport the bad 10 bolt to the shop?
Old 08-12-2005, 11:36 PM
Import Patrol

not uncommon as far as I heard. A buddy of mine's rear end got quiter after a few passes on the track. And i know a few that just got louder. I would not be too worried about it
Old 08-13-2005, 02:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

I had to drive it ~250 miles today due to not having another vehicle... it held up fine. Only problem is the damn thing whines so loud it echos off the pavement and other cars on the road as I go by... it drowns out my LT's/ORY/Open Cutout. Makes the car sound like it's a P.O.S lol
Old 08-13-2005, 03:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1ScrudeDude
Can someone tell me about the noise under acceleration only? Ring and pinion set up?
You said it. R&P set-up. I would summize it to improper drive contact pattern.
Old 08-13-2005, 09:17 PM
12 Second Club

I have 4.10s in my 10bolt. Not a 12bolt, sorry. But mine whine from about 30-55mph. Before or after that there pretty quite. At that speeds its only when I'm holding a speed, accelerating or coasting there quite. Just my input.

Ski
Old 08-13-2005, 09:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my 10 bolt with 3.73s have been whining like that for years now you will be fine the noise sucks yes but its life with a 10 bolt especially whan you hav been to the track
Old 08-22-2005, 08:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

I took the cover off this past weekend and changed the fluid... the magnet had a really fine metal paste attached to it. No large pieces or anything, it looked like some kind of epoxy or something. The gears appear alright, I'm going to have them re-setup by someone to see if that takes care of the howl. Just kind of odd that it started after about a month and after so many miles were put on them?
Old 08-22-2005, 08:56 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by thechef
my 10 bolt with 3.73s have been whining like that for years now you will be fine the noise sucks yes but its life with a 10 bolt especially whan you hav been to the track
WERD.

Even 12 bolts that have been run hard at the track will howl. Mine is so loud, you can hear it OUTSIDE the car on the sidewalk

Don't knock yourself out trying to re-set the gears. Once the wear pattern is grooved, that's pretty much it.