Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

What is this sound coming from the rear???

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2005, 03:54 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default What is this sound coming from the rear???

Stock 10 bolt with 3.42's...

I've got this noise that doesn't sound like gear whine. It's odd, but not even really grinding, just more like something hard and of metal is just rubbing and causing this "waum waum waum" sound. It almost kinda sounds like the heartbeat from an ultrasound I was thinking maybe a bearing or something, but I don't really know. It's pretty loud, and at like 70mph I start to get a vibration.

I am getting 4.10's installed this weekend in hopes that it's the gears. I'm also getting a T/A cover and going to replace all the bearings and seals (including the outer wheel bearings).

Does anyone have any ideas? I sure hope it's not the carrier. Do you think it could be a bearing? Maybe a ujoint?
Old 02-08-2005, 03:56 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could be a bearing. Try running it on stands. Could be wheel or in the gear section
Old 02-08-2005, 03:59 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Originally Posted by mzoomora
Could be a bearing. Try running it on stands. Could be wheel or in the gear section
Good, someone giving me hopes it's just a bearing

Just doing some browsing, and it's probably the same sound as someone explained here...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post2430810
Old 02-11-2005, 01:39 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Well, I found it was the carrier spider gears getting sheared. Oh well, **** happens I bought an Eaton unit to get me through until I can afford a 12 bolt.