Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Richmond 4.10 whine from hell

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2005, 04:08 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Richmond 4.10 whine from hell

Here's the deal. I've been battling this for about 3 days now, and we've exausted all but two options. The ring is set for a backlask of .008 and is currently a scosche tight at .006. The Pinion depth is set for 2.312 and is currently at 2.362 or so. It has since gotten louder when we made the move from .015 backlash to .006, and there appears to be some marking on the carrier where the pinion is actually contacting the carrier. I'm wondering, if the pinion depth is off by the total amount of shimming you put on the pinion, how can this work at all? I would have to take out -all- shimming for the pinion to meet the specs on the gear, but wouldn't that make the backlash extremely loose?

Also, where can you get carrier shims to move the carrier around? I've looked adn it seems no one has carrier shims in any of the install kits.

The whine I'm hearing from the rear end is odd. Its through the whole range of speed, and it gets -incredibly- loud during light acceleration with little or no load. When you are at full load, its MUCH quieter. Any ideas here?
Old 02-21-2005, 09:30 PM
12 Second Club

The gears must have been machined wrong. My friend had the same problem and they sent him a new set fixed the problem.
Old 02-22-2005, 02:18 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just read the pattern...the pattern will set you free.lol j/k

I rarely check pinion depth.Usually I will start with the pinion shim that's already being used in the housing(seems like most are in the .028 to .031 range),set the backlash at .008,read the pattern,and adjust from there.On the backlash,it's a two to one ratio.A adjustment of .002(with the carrier shims) will result in .001 in backlash.Example..if your backlash is .020,.020(measured)-.008(needed)=.016....x2=.032...so transfer .032 from the drivers side to the passenger side to achieve a backlash of .008.

Do a google search for ring gear patterns to get a visual of what the correct pattern should be.

It's not a exact science at times though.I believe it is Randy's Ring Gear site that has a list of "acceptable" patterns.Sometimes no matter how good of a pattern you get,the gears are just a lil noisey.

I really do'nt like richmond gears in a 7.5 rear.Seems like they are usually noisy...had the best luck with gm's or motives.

Tony
Old 02-22-2005, 07:06 AM
11 Second Club

I got lucky, mine were dead silent for 3.5 years until I sold the rear.

And boy do I miss them now.
Old 02-22-2005, 04:51 PM
Banned

Thanks for the info guys, it really helps!

Quick Reply: Richmond 4.10 whine from hell