Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Weird sounds coming from the rear end.

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2005, 11:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Weird sounds coming from the rear end.

The rear end of my car has been making this noise for about 20,000 miles now, so I figured I better get it checked out before I beat on it at the track this weekend. It is the stock 3.23 posi track rear end. I believe it is the torsen limited slip in there.

What it does is that it makes this rattling sound when I let off the gas at less than 30mph. It is especially obvious if I'm making a wide left turn at less than 30 with my foot off the gas. It also does the same thing making a wide right turn at less than 30 with my foot off the gas, but not quite as loud as when turning left.

My mechanic took the cover off and found only one little bitty shaving, said he checked all the gears and axles, said everything was fine and sent me on my way. He thought the noise was coming from the posi-track, but said not to worry about it because it still works fine.

As I left, the car is now making a new noise. It is making a whirring noise at all speeds, but quits when the car comes to a stop. It still sounds exactly the same if I drop it into N, on the gas or off the gas. So what is that now?

And my orignal noise, should I live with it, or take it to another shop?
Old 03-09-2005, 01:56 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seen a few eat the left side carrier bearing up !
Old 03-15-2005, 09:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I was waiting to see if anyone else had that rattle sound from the rearend my sounds like a clunk clunk clunk sound when decelerating a low speeds and when turning at low speeds....I checked the pinion slack and it has none...but it is leaking and whining a little at high speeds...at first i thought it was my caliper in the left rear(slack in the slide pins)....AronZ28 car seems to be doing the same thing....could it be the side gears in our cars?
Old 03-15-2005, 03:27 PM
12 Second Club

I had the same noise and it turned out to be pitting in the axle's. I ended up getting a whole new rear-end under warranty.
Old 03-15-2005, 04:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

DRACO911, i dont want to sound dumb, but what do you mean by pitting of the axles, like rust eats pits in metal....where on the axles did this occur......i dont have a warranty so im trying to see what to look for, maybe new axles only? How would it effect the differential that a new one would have to be bought ....thanks man