Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Had a bad Pinion bearing....

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2005, 04:06 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Had a bad Pinion bearing....

I took my car into the shop last week with a continuos noise, kind of a slight grinding or metalic rubbing sound getting louder/softer with changes in speed.
I thought i had a bad axle bearing, or maybe carrier bearing. nope...shop ended up taking whole rearend apart to find that the rear pinion bearing had a chunk taken out of one of the rollers, and it was stopping the one roller from turning. some of the other rollers on the bearing looked chewed up too. $500 later i got my car back....kinda dissapointed, i could have used that money towards a 12 bolt. By the way..its a '98 TA M6 65,000 miles.
Old 03-11-2005, 05:40 AM
Restricted User

I noticed this is a big problem with the stocker 10bolt. A good way to prevent it is to use a Raytech (sp?) Solid Pinion Spacer to replace the crush collar, or at least thats what the driveline shop advised me of. I had a slight leakage from the pinion seal, they pulled the crush collar, which was just that = destroyed, installed a solid sleeve and no more problems.....at least until I shredded a few of the spider gears teeth off
good luck

Charlie
Old 03-12-2005, 10:59 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by CAT3
I noticed this is a big problem with the stocker 10bolt. A good way to prevent it is to use a Raytech (sp?) Solid Pinion Spacer to replace the crush collar, or at least thats what the driveline shop advised me of. I had a slight leakage from the pinion seal, they pulled the crush collar, which was just that = destroyed, installed a solid sleeve and no more problems.....at least until I shredded a few of the spider gears teeth off
good luck

Charlie
where you you be able to find one of those RAYTECH solid pinion spacer and does it come in a rear set up kit ?????
Old 03-13-2005, 07:19 AM
Staging Lane

A sponser may have one, if not summit carries them.
Old 03-13-2005, 09:28 PM
Restricted User

I ordered the Raytech Solid spacer from Thunder, called, and had it sent overnight (Hawaii). You can get it as a setup kit, I got mine just the spacer as the Drivetrain shop had the necessary pinion seal and shims.
Old 03-17-2005, 03:54 PM
Teching In

thanks guys ill have to look into that