Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

drivetrain stress at high HP only on launch?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2001, 09:16 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default drivetrain stress at high HP only on launch?

My naive thinking is telling me that as long as I have a low stall, adding horsepower won't kill my tranny or drivetrain cuz most of the damage seems to occur on launch. Is this true, or can a higher HP engine hurt a tranny/rearend during shifts and just plain old acceleration as well?
Let's figure, oh, I don't know, 450 RWHP with a stock stall converter.
Old 11-28-2001, 09:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: drivetrain stress at high HP only on launch?

You can break gears punching it from a roll, but you are less likely than if you have ET Streets and a strong launch.

As far as the tranny goes, it seems the 2-3 and 3-4 clutch packs burn up most often. A low stall reduces the torque fed into the tranny and may help extend the life. You could use a converter like the Yank/SLP stealth 2600 or a TT2800 and not significantly increase the torque if the motor is NA. Turbos produce a lot of torque and thus bump the effective stall.

In the end, if you really make that much power, even with a stock converter you'll probably need a tranny rebuild from time to time. I would get a decent converter and deal with the tranny issues.
Old 11-28-2001, 04:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd rather have less engine and more converter.
Old 11-28-2001, 04:20 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,089 Likes on 717 Posts

Jim...

Rpms=hard on the tranny
Heat=hard on the tranny
Old 11-28-2001, 09:55 PM
Launching!

If you have high Torque, a higher stall will lessen the blow during shifts, increasing the life of the hard parts. Drum to input shaft takes a beating. What I did to lessen the shock during the shifts was cut my stock converter in half, and tweak the fins. Then highspeed balance the converter after rewelding it. This increased my stall a little. Not so much to set of SES light. But in the long run will increase the life of my trannie. After my 427 install, will have my trannie tweaked somemore to set the shifts just right with that setup. Get a good trannie man who can road test your setup and tweak it just right so it can last. Tweaking does require in installation of a Trango shift kit.

Leo
Old 11-28-2001, 10:11 PM
On The Tree

Right now I've got a setup where I can guarantee the tranny will live forever. It's the !engine mod... I highly recommend it for tranny life.

I did the transgo awhile ago and the tranny & rear have survived, I just need to baby the tranny for one more year till the pockets can fill up with a little $$$ again!!!