Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Motul 5.1 brake fluid, any good?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2002, 11:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motul 5.1 brake fluid, any good?

I used to goto ls1.com alot and i would hear about motul 5.1 brake fluid, higher viscosity and is just a really good brake fluid, anyone have the skinny on this? Thanks .
Old 01-04-2002, 12:00 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Motul 5.1 brake fluid, any good?

Here's some reading info for ya.

www.ls1tech.com/ubb/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=000035

I've used both the Valvoline Synpower and Motul 5.1. You're not gonna notice any "performance" difference between the two but all things being equal, the Motul should hold up longer before needing to be changed. How much longer?...I don't know.

The Motul and Ate are hard to find. Maaaybe at a motorcycle shop if local but probably online. Be forewarned that it's probably 3x-4x the price of the Valvoline so it's not something you'd wanna waste.

For regular street use and braking, the Valvoline is the cheapest and easiest to find at most auto parts stores. If you really heat 'em up and are an aggressive driver, then try the Motul 5.1 or Ate.
Old 01-06-2002, 09:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been using the Motul 5.1 for a while and am very happy with it. It has never boiled, even though I got the brakes hot enough to crack 2 KVR blanks. Ths RBF600 has an even higher temp rating, but is very hydroscopic (the level in the master cylinder grows in a couple months) and the pedal feel is a little mushy compared to other fluids. I plan to run the Motul 5.1 in my race car for some time and would suggest you do the same if you autox or road race. For the street, the Ford stuff is great.
Old 01-08-2002, 02:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Understand, a performance brake fluid is gonna be hydroscopic. The higher the boiling point, the more hydroscopic it becomes. So, it will take more maintenance.

I run a couple of lapping sessions and 4 or 5 AXs a year and then put about 10K miles on my TA.

I typically flush a 1/2 litre through my system every 2 to 3 months, more often, if I race.

This keeps the fluid fresh and clean.

But this useage is when you really add some heat to the brakes. I'm talking crack the rotors and melt the dust boots hot.

For a daily driver, from what I've read, the Ford heavy duty stuff is very good.

Quick Reply: Motul 5.1 brake fluid, any good?