Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

options on gears...(3.73)...i heard stay away from richmond

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2005 | 12:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Question options on gears...(3.73)...i heard stay away from richmond

M6...not sure what brand of gears to go with on my upcoming 12 bolt???I heard richmond sux...another guy told me to go with OE gears...

the guy I talked to also recomended 33spline with my rearend.. what is yalls imput on that? oh yea for the brakes are we 4channel or 3 channel (so I know how to fit the rearend with brakes)
Old 06-16-2005 | 01:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would install no less than 33 spline axles. Strange comes standard and an option with Moser. If you chose Moser, get the US Gears. Strange comes with their gears and they are nice. If you have TCS(Traction Control System) or ASR(Anti-Slip Regulation) then, you have a 4 channel system. Otherwise, you have a 3 channel if you have ABS only.
Old 06-16-2005 | 08:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

If you have TCS(Traction Control System) or ASR(Anti-Slip Regulation) then, you have a 4 channel system. Otherwise, you have a 3 channel if you have ABS only.[/QUOTE]

wait now!!!! Ive been trying to fiqure out wtf that funtion is on these newer cars that automatically gives them traction reassignment...you push a button and if you go try to go sideways it corrects it automatically...Im talking about the new Corvetts, Mustang GT, my friends porsh has it

Is their anyway to retro fit that sort of system on a 2002 TA???(you were right all I got now is the 3 channel ABS)
Old 06-17-2005 | 03:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

does any one know if you can retrofit that feature???
Old 06-17-2005 | 10:52 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

The only reason people say stay away from Richmond is they are noisier than the other gears. They are also stronger. The noise doesn't bother me, so I went with Richmond's.
Old 06-17-2005 | 01:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DMNSPD
The only reason people say stay away from Richmond is they are noisier than the other gears. They are also stronger. The noise doesn't bother me, so I went with Richmond's.
I went with Richmonds too. That "noise" is peace of mind for me.
Old 06-17-2005 | 10:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Harley-Davidson88
I went with Richmonds too. That "noise" is peace of mind for me.
I'm with these guys. I have 3.90's in my Moser. They might be a bit noisy, but they're supposed to be strong.
Old 06-18-2005 | 03:44 AM
Restricted User

The Richmonds (for some reason) tend to make more noise in the last couple of years, and that is one reason I do not carry them right now, but will get them if the customer wants (against my advice). Richmond Gears, say they are stronger (maybe, but the proof is not seen as of now) but U.S. Gear has not had these problems in the vast majority of cases (very little complaints). The factory gears have done very well in holding up on street cars & some strip vehicles (and they run quiet). Experience tells me that Richmond will go back to the gears that work, if they don't want to keep losing sales.
Old 06-18-2005 | 09:33 AM
12 Second Club

I just had a set of Richmond 3.42's put in my A4 and they do have some whine. It's not bad though. The cat-less FLP exhaust through the Hooker muffler is louder than the gears.

Old 06-18-2005 | 03:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

well im split between OE and US gears...what do yall think