Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

2.73 to 3.73 ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2005, 10:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.73 to 3.73 ?

i have a 98 ta i belive i have a 2.73 i want to go to a 3.73 can somebody tell me what i should buy to do this. i have somebody to install but i need to bring him everthing to to do it. thank you for your help.
Old 06-19-2005, 04:39 PM
gwj
TECH Addict

Location: Live Oak, FL - in the woods where the creatures lurk.

If you have GU2 on the sticker on your drivers' door you have 2.73s.
That is a 2 series carrier, so you will have to buy gears for a 2 series carrier unless you are going to basically gut it and go with a 3 series. The installer will need a crush sleeve,(or solid sleeve),cover gasket, pinion seal, etc, shims maybe, or you can just buy the gears and get an install kit (such as Ratech). I would look at one of the sponsors sites that sell gears/kits and maybe call them up. Thunder Racing comes to mind, but there are several that carry or can get what you want.
Hope this helps. Never tore into a differential myself, just a nodding familiarity with the components.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

id say you would be set just buying the series 2 gears from any vendor (id recommend thunderracing.com to) and a basic install kit like gwj just described. you'll need the crush/solid pinion sleeve, bearings, and shims at the least if you reuse the stock bolts and hardware.

i just did the exact same swap on my car which has a th350 transmission, and damn does it put a smile on my face when i punch it from a roll