Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

HELP! Diffy install! Shims!

Old 06-25-2005, 09:20 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! Diffy install! Shims!

Investigated a rearend problem the other day and it turned out to be the diffy bearings. Long story short had new GM ones pressed on both sides and new races supplied also.

Now I cant get the damn thing back in for the life of me, it feels like it will go in part way then just gets stuck like a mother. I tired tapping with a hammer and even a lil harder than tapping and it just wont go in. I tried every trick picking it up, pushing it to one side the other, one shim at a time.........you name I think Ive done it.

Could it be possible that I need different shims even with stock replacment bearings just pressed on? I would think it would go right back on.

This is my daily driver so some quick help would be useful, Im in for the long haul on this one it looks like! HELP PLEASE! THANKS ALL
Old 06-26-2005, 12:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by santino04
Could it be possible that I need different shims even with stock replacment bearings just pressed on?
Yes, sounds like it. Alot of OE shim sets are too tight for my liking when replacing diff bearings. Try about .004-.006 less and see how it feels. Then go from there.
Old 06-26-2005, 12:55 PM
10 Second Club

I did mine I got the EATON diff what I did was put the gear part in 1st then 1 shim then the other shim u might have to bump it a little but tha's what i did try it dont put everthing all at once
Old 06-26-2005, 11:45 PM
TECH Addict

Might need new shims, I've got a whole set of shims I've got laying around that I'll let you have real cheap. You'll also need a dial indicator though to get the backlash right. You could also try what scalemaster suggested, put in the carrier first, then the shims.
Old 06-27-2005, 11:12 PM
Launching!

Got some new shims but I must be retarded because I couldnt get it in right. I ended up jamming it in there so tight it wouldnt move. So i said **** it, unbolted the entire rearend and sent it to the guys that do my work that i cant do. They fixed it all up piece of cake. All done!! HAHA Thanks for all your help though guys. At least I have some kind of experience trying to do a rearend now.

Search this Thread