Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Will deleting torque management shorten the life of the tranny?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2002, 04:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Will deleting torque management shorten the life of the tranny?

Here's my 2 cents. TM is there because GM wants better shift quality. Meaning smooth soft shifts like a soft whispers in your ear, not a crash bang pow shift most car nuts want. To do this the tanny must be valved to shift slow with more than desirable dwell time between gears and soft clutch and band applies. To keep the trans from burning up with a 300hp engine GM created TM (most new cars have it from any mfr). If you delete TM then I'd revalve the trans with a trans-go. Now the trans will shift quicker (less dwell time between gears and faster band/clutches applies and releases). The trans will shift "harsher" and you woun't need TM to protect the tranny. Now here's the problem. It is very debatable if the hard parts with in the 4L60E can take the punishment. Clutch and band life is increased with the shift kit, but can things like the front pump housing, drums, planetaries, sprags, and sun gear shells take the increased abuse? The jury is still out in my opinion.

Quick Reply: Will deleting torque management shorten the life of the tranny?