Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Zexel Torsion vs. Eaton

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2005, 01:24 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zexel Torsion vs. Eaton

I was racing Friday night, and tore up my differential when I accidently left Traction Control on and tried to burn out .

I do not want to get a 9" or a 12 bolt at this time due to financial limitations, but I am going from Precision Gear to Richmond 4.10's. I want to go with the stronger posi that SLP offers, but a friend mentioned Eaton. Which one is stronger?

How does one get rid of those weak C-clips?

I am also wishing to upgrade my rear axles, and am looking for recommendations there. I already have a solid pinion spacer to go into it and a TA Cover that pre-loads the bearings. If there is anything else that I am missing, please mention it.

I ran in 91* heat 77% humidity and cut a couple of 2.0's and ran 12.71@112.5 mph on Nitto DR's. With a very strong 10 bolt, what kind of tires can I run?

Thanks ahead of time for all of the information
Old 07-27-2005, 12:59 PM
TECH Regular

You might want to consider running the Motive 4.10's...I've heard that they run quieter than the Richmond gears. (I have them from motive and they're nice and quiet for the most part).
I also run an eaton posi, but couldn't tell you whether the heavy duty zexel (which I think you are talking about) or the Eaton is stronger.
I know people that have run plenty of 10 second passes using the Eaton and it has held up.
Old 07-27-2005, 03:54 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you're on financial contraints, just get a used Torsen from someone. Then start saving for a 12 bolt or 9 inch. There is no reason to waste money on that POS 10 bolt. When I blew my Torsen, I put in Richmond 4.10's, TA cover, and hardened cap studs. The ring gear blew about 10k miles later.

If I were in your situation, I'd go cheap and take it easy until you can afford the better rear. If you refuse to do that, go with the Eaton HD (clutch packs are better IMO), run the GM/Motive gears, get a cover and studs. Forget upgrading the axles.
Old 07-27-2005, 07:39 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the replies.

I have True Duals and it's a weekend car so it is noisy as is. I will take the advice and get the Eaton Posi. I already have the richmond gears, so that is not much of an option. I've got a cover, and a solid pinion spacer. I am not familiar with the hardened cap studs, can you send a link of who sells them, or describe them a little more?

10k miles will last me about two years or so, and by that time I'll have the disposable income for a 9".

I've had Motive Gear and Precision Gear 4.10's. They both started quiet, but they got loud towards their end.

Thanks for the tips.
Old 07-28-2005, 06:21 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

I forgot about the solid pinion shim. Good thinking for that

You can get the hardened cap studs from Thunder. Cap Studs
Old 07-28-2005, 08:21 AM
Staging Lane

Sounds like 25 dollars well spent.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
Old 07-28-2005, 10:59 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Originally Posted by Orange n Black
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
No problem. That's why LS1tech is the best