Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Just so you know... 4.86 gears can work in an A4 4L60E :P

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2005, 01:28 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Talking Just so you know... 4.86 gears can work in an A4 4L60E :P

A few weeks ago my transmission guy was asking me a bunch of questions about my 1/4-mile trap RPM’s. I told him with the 4.11's on 26" tires, I was shifting to OD just at the end of the track. After a little talking, he persuaded me to try a 4.86 gear. This way I could utilize all of 4th gear at the track. This would be at no cost to me since he sponsors all my rear end and trans work. I really had nothing to lose. I tried researching online and at the track for people that have done this. I was not able to find anyone. I did however, get a few comments on how I was crazy and that it would not work. I was told that the OD gear would not hold the power for more than one pass and that the clutches would glaze over and fail.

WELL.... After 10 1/4 mile passes and many, many freeway OD WOT shifts, I am still running as strong as ever. In fact, I was able to jet my nitrous down to 125 from 150 and run the same times as having the 4.11's. I did have to change up to a 28" slick for the track. (I could not chance another no-traction launch with the N20 - the resulting N20 backfire is too expensive.)

On my first pass with the 4.86's, I set my personal best of 11.396 at 117.22 with a 1.520 60' - This was launching on a 50 shot and ramping over 7 seconds to 125. I think it's safe to say, if I launched on the full 125 or even upped it back to 150 for the full pass, I would be a solid 10 second, drive-to-the-track car. Too cool! But, until the roll cage comes this will probably remain my best.

Now the bad part... Driving the car on the freeway SUCKS!!! At 65 mph the motor was working at about 3000 rpm. Not good for gas or engine heat. Soooo, tomorrow I am going to change my gears out again. This time I will be going with a 3.90 and keeping the 28" tires. This should let me finish the 1/4 right at the top of 3rd gear. This will also let me feel more comfortable driving to and from the track again.

Just wanted you all to know. Incase you plan to push your stock bottom LT1 to it's limit using a 4L60E too. But, who knows how long it would have lasted.