Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Two alligators mating in my differential

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2005 | 05:46 PM
Teching In

Default Two alligators mating in my differential

I recently took my 97 WS-6 into the shop because the rear end was whining under acceleration and the rear end would litterally jump when turning in reverse. I thought the problem may be coming from low fluid. The shop changed the fluid, tightened up a loose gear and the car was ready to go. Now the car has a unique noise that happens only when coasting while the clutch is disengaged. My best description of the noise is two alligators during mating season (never seen it, but it would probably sound like this). A more detailed description would be the sound of a wheel bearing going out. I took it back in and they said the wheel bearings were fine. It's a whirring noise and it only occurs during coasting. Has anyone had this experience, or am I the chosen one? The only thing I can think of is the gear that was tightened is now hitting the other gear at a different pitch, causing the sound. The only problem with that theory is that it only occurs while coasting. Any help is much appreciated.