Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

is my rear end missing teeth?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2005 | 06:17 PM
Launching!

Default is my rear end missing teeth?

thinking i lost a tooth in my stock 3.42 M6 rear end?

when you go to get it rolling, it seems a bit notchy, then when you hit the gas, the car surges back and forth as if there is a tooth missing from the rear end... shifter/stick jumps up and down under acceleration at low speeds, i.e. if you put it in second and hit it at 10 mph, the stick seems to just higher than normal... and does it in sequence depending how fast you are going... and the rpms you are at...

looking for a stonger than stock rear end to put in my car.... maybe a 12 bolt, can anyone point me in the right direction, any websites? ect?

little help here

Thanks

Dan
Old 08-26-2005 | 08:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

A missing tooth wouldnt give you a surging sensation without a lot of noise.... like a ~tink~ or maybe even a bang.

I would look at your transmission mount first. If your stick is oscillating and the car seems to surge, this is a more prevailent symptom.
Old 08-27-2005 | 10:12 AM
Launching!

how hard is it to change a tranny mount? is there an aftermerket one that is a solid mount?

thanks

Dan
Old 08-27-2005 | 01:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Solid trans mount = bad idea.

Although, now that I think about it..... it might be your forward torque arm bushing.

Energy Suspension makes a poly trans mount that is a great OE replacement and its pretty easy to remove/replace. Thing is.... they dont make one for the 93-02.
Old 08-27-2005 | 01:38 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by v DaN 02
how hard is it to change a tranny mount? is there an aftermerket one that is a solid mount?

thanks

Dan
Its easy and Thunder racing has suspension techniques poly eurathane(sp?) mounts. I had them on my eclipse GSX and they were my favorite mod. Plan on doing the same to the SS.

http://www.thunderracing.com/catalog...&vid=3&pcid=92
Old 08-27-2005 | 02:03 PM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by chicane
Energy Suspension makes a poly trans mount that is a great OE replacement and its pretty easy to remove/replace. Thing is.... they dont make one for the 93-02.
I bought an ES trans mount at Autozone and it bolted up fine. It's an easy 30 minute install if you take your time.
Old 08-27-2005 | 05:01 PM
Launching!

the site that cash money sent me has a trans mount that is good from 67-02 so? how do they not make one for 93-02 chicane? lol, interesting.... still debating on what one to buy....

can anyone point me in the right direction for a writeup on changing a tranny mount...?
Old 08-27-2005 | 05:38 PM
Staging Lane

If it happens in all gears its probably your clutch.
Old 08-27-2005 | 06:16 PM
TECH Regular

on my 1996 A4 I found that the reason that the mount is not listed for 93-02 is because the hole on bottom of the mount does not line up perfectly with the hole in the crossmember. all you have to do though is take a dremel and and lengthen the oval shaped hole about a half inch farther up towards the front of the car and the thing will fit fine. also, make sure your transmission sits at the same height when you're done. i had to make a spacer . i hear if the angle is off you will get some nasty vibrations.
Old 08-27-2005 | 09:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

how do they not make one for 93-02 chicane? lol, interesting.... still debating on what one to buy....
Well, I was just going off of their web catalog.... which doesnt mean much, considering I use them all the time for our T-56 kits... DOH and duh.

One thing to note, their installed height is taller than a standard/stock mount, which in effect..... will change the transmission/pinion angle, so if one were to change over to the new poly mount and find that they pick up a slight vibration..... it would be because of this.
Old 08-28-2005 | 12:03 AM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

can anyone point me in the right direction for a writeup on changing a tranny mount...?

www.installuniversity.com

Select "LSX Vehicles", then "Install Documents". Scroll down to the bottom under transmission.
Old 08-28-2005 | 01:03 PM
Launching!

clutch was just replaced 15,000 miles ago.... so i dont think its my clutch......

Dan
Old 09-07-2005 | 10:19 AM
Launching!

hmm, well, that damn site is in teh hurricane area.... so i cant get a tranny mount from there for a while..... but anyways.... my rear end is definatly making a lot of noise now, and when i go around a tight corner, it locks up, and the innermost whell starts spinning, because its locked.....

my rear end also pops once in a while..... who makes a nice 9" rear end that i can have installed in my car? want to keep abs, and traction control.....

Dan
Old 09-24-2005 | 09:06 AM
Launching!

well, i found out that the last person that replaced the pinion seal didnt tighten everything up very well when it went back together..... and that caused the death of my rear end from normal driving, i wasnt even getting on it when it slammed up against the carrier unit and cracked it..... also replaced a fully ripped transmission mount.... feels so much better now....

Dan