Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Syncro's question?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2002, 03:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Syncro's question?

I let somebody else drive my car a bit ago and every since that time my car hasn't shifted right when going into 2nd or 3rd. I've also notice that sometimes when I'm revved up some (like 4K +) and I'm shifting out of first right when I pull the shifter out of first and go into neutral I get sort of a clunk type sound and I can also feel it in the drive train.

I'm wondering if this person that drove my car messed up the syncro's. Sorry if I spelled that incorrectly. I told this person to take it easy on the car cause it wasn't warmed up yet. Well, he later told me that he chirped second and missed fourth gear. He also commented on how he moves the shifter really fast when he's shifting also.

I've noticed that with the redline fluid I run in the tranny that until it's warm that it take a little while for the tranny to shift smoothly. I guess just telling him to take it easy on the car wasn't enough. The instant I got into the car after he drove it second and third didn't feel right. I also have that clunking noise when I come out of 1st gear.

Big lesson was learned there, not everybody else respects other people things like I do. When I drive somebody else's stuff I respect it a lot more than that of my own. This person obviously didn't do that but the car still drives but I did have a small price to pay for it. I mean, chirping the tires isn't something that is easy to do when your taking an easy on her if you know what I mean.

So, if it is the syncro's causing the issue, how much would it costs to get those replaced or fixed? I also have the Pro 5.0 shifter in the car so that makes it a little more obvious in the feedback I get from the tranny also.

Thanks in advance!

Ted
'96 T/A M6

PS - I drove the car for 10,000 miles before this incident had happened. Heck I had even drag raced it before that and missed 3rd gear a few times under drag racing conditions and didn't cause this type of damage. I don't know what the guy did to my car but dang, learn how to drive a 6 speed or don't beat on somebody else's car learning to drive one is what I'll tell this person if they ever make comments on their 6 speed driving ability. No wonder that guy drives an A4 Z28. (not knocking A4's, just commenting on this one guy.)
Old 02-05-2002, 05:28 AM
On The Tree

Default Re: Syncro's question?

you need to do the drill out mod! if your synchro's were bad you would be grinding going into a gear or gears!
Old 02-05-2002, 05:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Re: Syncro's question?

[quote]Originally posted by superman:
<strong>you need to do the drill out mod! if your synchro's were bad you would be grinding going into a gear or gears!</strong><hr></blockquote>

Thanks for the response. What's the 'drill out mod?'

I haven't heard of that before. Thanks in advance!

Ted