Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

8.5" into an F-bod

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2005 | 11:45 PM
11 Second Club

IT WON"T WORK GUYS! It will cost an assload for the labor of building a strong housing that won't break. If you guys wanna keep throwing your $$$ away and end uplike all the 8.8 (me being one of them) be my guest.
Old 09-18-2005 | 12:31 AM
12 Second Club
20 Year Member

I came up with this idea myself a couple of weeks ago. I decided it could quickly add up to being more cost than a 9". Also the problem with the 8.8 was welding to the cast housing for the TA. That will be the same problem with an 8.5.

What I was considering if there was a way to adapt the 8.5 with a 4 link type rear suspension... but it seems our long TA is a step in the right direction and I would be trading one problem for another.

Brian
Old 09-20-2005 | 10:43 AM
Banned

What if you could bolt a torque arm mount to the housing instead of welding it? Any Ideas behind this one? I would like to see a picture of the 8.5" housing if anyone has one.

CMC
Old 09-20-2005 | 11:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You can do that, Maximum Motorsports makes a bolt on torque arm for the 8.8 rear in Mustangs. It does however weigh more than welded mount. And it cost $450.

And you still need the jig to properly align the axle tube ends (lca mount and PH mount)
Old 09-20-2005 | 09:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I seriously considered doing the 8.5'' swap and having a local guy whos very good at welding cast do the tq arm mount.

After i started figuring things up, after buying custom axles, a carrier and gears it was going to be $1300+ depeneding on how much the welding cost. Then after having that much cash invested in it there still wasnt going to be any guarantee that i wouldnt rip the tq arm mount off first launch.

So ive decided just to spend the extra cash to get a 12bolt, got a great deal on a used carrier and gears for one so just need a housing/axles. I think all together i can have a 12bolt for around $1600. The extra $300 for piece of mind and not having to mess around with finding/getting everything done will be well worth it in my book.

However it could be a different story if you have a 8.5'' housing that will work, and a carrier/gears for it, bonus if you could do the welding yourself. If you only had $300 for custom axles and some time wound up in the project it might be well worth giving it a shot.