Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

installing axles

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2005, 02:59 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default installing axles

I'm almost done assembling my new rear end and I'm having some trouble installing my axles. I'm not sure how much force it takes to slip them into the spool in the center section. I've been using a c clamp and have been cranking down on it quite a bit and neither side seems to want to budge. Is there any way to do this correctly and get the axles in?
Old 09-24-2005, 06:14 PM
TECH Resident

Bump bump. I still can't get the axles in using two c clamps and cranking them down as far as I can.
Old 09-24-2005, 08:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That's way too much force, they should just slip in, and if they don't something is seriously wrong.

Is the spool out of the housing ? Your axles should just slip into the spool, in or out of the housing. If they are not, you probably have the wrong parts (like maybe a 28 spline axle and 31 spline spool).
Old 09-24-2005, 08:50 PM
10 Second Club

maybe axles might not be the rright length?? may be too long for some reason
Old 09-24-2005, 09:11 PM
TECH Resident

Hmmm well I'm totally lost as to what to do then. The spool is in the center section which is fully bolted into the housing. All I have left to do is install the axles. And the axles should be the right length as far as I know. I got all the stuff from Driveline Solutions, but I've been having some trouble getting a hold of him this weekend.
Old 09-24-2005, 09:20 PM
10 Second Club

do you have the back cover off where you can see if they are sliding in correctly?
Old 09-24-2005, 09:43 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Sorry Matt, I was at the local dragstrip doing wheel stands and breaking my old record 9.33 @ 148 mph. I did get your message but I had no # to call back. The o-rings need some RTV to help them slide in. I have had to use a c-clamp to get them in also.

P.S. I will try to have some video of the wheelie of launch pics, look in the single digit second club.
Old 09-25-2005, 03:26 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by URLOSN
do you have the back cover off where you can see if they are sliding in correctly?
It's a 9 inch, there is no back cover.

Originally Posted by 1BAD86Z28
Sorry Matt, I was at the local dragstrip doing wheel stands and breaking my old record 9.33 @ 148 mph. I did get your message but I had no # to call back. The o-rings need some RTV to help them slide in. I have had to use a c-clamp to get them in also.

P.S. I will try to have some video of the wheelie of launch pics, look in the single digit second club.
No problem Scott. My problem is that the part of the axles where the splines are won't even budge and go into the spool in the center section, I'm not even close to getting the bearings into the housing. I've already bent a c-clamp trying to do it and nothing is working.

P.S. I'll take a look at the new video, that last one you sent me was sweet.