Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

strange 12 bolt guys need your help...

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 07:27 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by INMY01TA
My Strange 12 bolt (4:10's) was quiet till I beating on it at the track. Whines pretty good but hasn't broke yet. Happy with it so far.
Well...that sounds promising at least
Old 11-16-2006, 01:41 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Strange 12 bolt (4:10's) was quiet till I beating on it at the track. Whines pretty good but hasn't broke yet. Happy with it so far.

i hope your luckier than i am, i had the same thing only both axles were bent and the thing screams so loud that it resonates the interior strange
Old 11-16-2006, 12:16 PM
12 Second Club

I'm getting more whine in the 30-35 and 50-55 area. around 55 it gets rather annoying...then sharply cuts off around 57.
Old 11-16-2006, 01:00 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Sounds like a sweet rear end you have there...hopefully mine doesn't follow suit.
Old 11-16-2006, 02:00 PM
12 Second Club

I will have the 250 miles strange says to put on it tomorrow...i will do a few WOT runs on street tires and see how it likes it.
Old 11-16-2006, 07:59 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 6spd97ta
i hope your luckier than i am, i had the same thing only both axles were bent and the thing screams so loud that it resonates the interior strange
How did you bend both axles?
Old 11-16-2006, 08:42 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Probably running it like the car in my sig
Old 11-16-2006, 09:25 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ziptie
I'm getting more whine in the 30-35 and 50-55 area. around 55 it gets rather annoying...then sharply cuts off around 57.
Same with mine. It was dead quiet until I took it to the track (6 runs total). No performance problems though.
Old 11-16-2006, 09:47 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Ziptie
I got my Dana installed. So far the only real issue is the ABS doesn't work. I called them up and they suggested to pull the cover and make sure the reluctor ring is there. They said if it's not, they will have someone in town fix it for me. I gotta say if they own up to that it's pretty impressive...compared to other stories I've heard.
Fascinating. They think they might have forgot to install a reluctor ring?
Old 11-16-2006, 09:50 PM
On The Tree

My friend bought a strange 12 bolt through Billingsley and i recently bought it from him with maybe 5000 miles on it. I swapped the trans a couple days later and the something in the drivetrain locked up... Needless to say i thought it was the damn trans and almost pulled it back out, turned out the damn rearend leaked all the fluid out and must have gotten binded up. Only drove it a couple miles like that and the gears mush have gotten hot. the car would barely roll forward but not in reverse, i think cuz there was no lubrication on the gears and how they mesh together in reverse it would just not roll at all. Anyways i seen all the fluid and thought by a fluke chance that was what my problem was, filled it up and the thing is fine now besides a lil whine. Oh ya btw, every single bolt on the damn cover was barely finger tight and there was not a gasket or even any sealant on it, is that how they normally assembly them?
Old 11-16-2006, 10:36 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Awake455
Fascinating. They think they might have forgot to install a reluctor ring?
We'll find out Sunday when I pull the cover.
Old 11-16-2006, 10:43 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by BadBlackZ
My friend bought a strange 12 bolt through Billingsley and i recently bought it from him with maybe 5000 miles on it. I swapped the trans a couple days later and the something in the drivetrain locked up... Needless to say i thought it was the damn trans and almost pulled it back out, turned out the damn rearend leaked all the fluid out and must have gotten binded up. Only drove it a couple miles like that and the gears mush have gotten hot. the car would barely roll forward but not in reverse, i think cuz there was no lubrication on the gears and how they mesh together in reverse it would just not roll at all. Anyways i seen all the fluid and thought by a fluke chance that was what my problem was, filled it up and the thing is fine now besides a lil whine. Oh ya btw, every single bolt on the damn cover was barely finger tight and there was not a gasket or even any sealant on it, is that how they normally assembly them?
That's definitely not how they ship them...mine is sealed up quite well, and you can see the gasket maker they used all around the cover. I'm honestly surprised you didn't completely screw the rear end over...no fluid = horrible for a rear end. Consider yourself lucky...
Old 11-17-2006, 02:47 AM
Launching!

27" et streets + 5000 rpm + sidestep clutch = somethings gotta give

oh well, now the abs sensor on top of the pumpkin dedided to snap in half. theres another 60 bucks to this heap of ****.
Old 11-19-2006, 10:34 PM
12 Second Club

Well, the ABS on my Dana doesn't work because they forgot to install the reluctor ring.
Old 11-19-2006, 10:43 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 01350ss
UPDATE:

Today I recieved my rear back from Strange today. I am now missing parts of my e-brake assembly!!!
I called that c*unt Tracy and told what I was missing, took 20 fuking minutes to describe to her what the part was! She finally told me that it would be about 3-5 days before I can get the part from them.
I told her to not waste her time, more importantly my time. I would spend my time and get the parts myself, and install them myself.
She then told me that she was "sorry for the inconvience!"
me "Sorry for the inconvience?!, this whole ordeal from early May till now has been an inconvience, I have nothing but but problems from your company. Everything from the driveshaft to the rear that is now on it's 3rd set of gears and a housing repair in less than 2800 miles!"
Tracy "well Justin, I can say that we are sorry for the issues"
Me "Does anybody ever check the product before it leaves?"
Tracy "Yes sir, I like to think everything is checked"
Me " *** you! Your first mistake was thinking, your next mistake was telling me, a certified technicain, that everything is checked! You are a complete disgrace to the company name. You have told me, again, a certified mechanic, that a weld is impossible to leak, paint over a vent would cause a weld to fail, our rears are checked and re-checked, all our products are verified for quality before shipping. You are a horrible representation of that company"
Tracy "I feel that I am a wonderful representaion of this company"
Me "Wrong again, you have no clue about the product that you were hired to represent"
Tracy "I know exactly what I'm talking about"
Me "Thats funny, cause I'm willing to bet that if you were to stand in front of a mirror, you would'nt be able to tell your c*nt from your elbow! Your a waste, and about as stupid as a busted brick! You have done nothing for me but cause me grief and aggrevation"
Tracy "I fixed the rear"
Me "No you didn't fix the rear, you push pens and answer phones, JC was the one who got the ball rolling for the repair. I went to him becuase you told me that it was impossible for a weld to leak, then a vent would cause the weld to fail"
Tracy "Again I am sorry you feel that way"
Me "*** you I have to go back to work"
At that point I hung up the phone. Tomorrow, the 12 bolt goes back in the car and it damn well better be quiet!

They are tring to make it right... i dont see why your so upset. Everyone is human and no one is perfect.
Old 11-20-2006, 12:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

after reading this, you can't see why I was upset?? Are you serious?!? Tell you what, spend 3500 bucks and go through the same **** I did. Then tell me if your upset.
It's all good now though, I have since installed a 9" 4.57 spool rear.
Old 11-20-2006, 06:14 AM
TECH Resident

Yes i can see why your up set, but your bashing the company over the internet. Some might consider that slander
Old 11-20-2006, 09:46 AM
12 Second Club

Strange apologized profusely to me for forgetting to install the reluctor ring, and told me they would 'make it right'. Tracy is going to give me a call later today to let me know what they are going to do.

From what other people have said they will most likely send a new center section to a shop to setup the gears.
Old 11-20-2006, 10:16 AM
TECH Resident

Sounds like a pretty stand up company to me, but you cant please everyone. I know when i buy a 12 bolt it will be a Strange.
Old 11-20-2006, 11:29 AM
12 Second Club

To be honest, I bought the rear expecting it to have problems, which is kind of sad. But, I also new strange would work them out simply be reading peoples heated complaints. I was willing, and still am, to wait it out and let Strange make it good.

Quick Reply: strange 12 bolt guys need your help...