Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Rubbing After New Gear Install?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2005, 10:50 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rubbing After New Gear Install?

I just got a set of Strange 4.10s put in my 10-bolt, and I just noticed a strange smell coming from the back of the car after hard acceleration. I can't really describe the smell.... It doesn't smell like gear oil for the rear end, but I don't know what it smells like if it's burning... I want to say it smells more metal-to-metal friction, but I'm not sure of that. Either way, the gears were broken in for about 600 miles, then the car was driven for about 450 miles straight after that. I never noticed the smell during that time. Now, if I get on it hard, there's a pretty distinct smell. Also, they're a little bit noisier than the stock set, mainly with light load (maintaining speed) at freeway speeds. What kind of things should I be looking out for to make sure the gear set was installed correctly, and has anybody gotten that smell after hard acceleration?
Old 09-28-2005, 12:43 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

That doesn't sound good. You were overly cautious on the break-in miles, and that's a good thing. I'd take it back to the shop that installed the gears. Tell them what you've typed here, and then have them correct the problem. It sounds like there was a mistake made during the install, so it should be on their dime to repair it.
Old 09-28-2005, 09:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man, it's gonna be a bitch getting it back to the shop... Any suggestions on how to deal with the shop if they're not immediately willing to repair for free?