Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Broken ABS ring in my 12 bolt

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2005, 11:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Broken ABS ring in my 12 bolt

I've had my 12 bolt for 21 months, have never been on a slick just a Nitto drag radial and today, I hear "pop" thinking oh **** there goes a 2 month old Nitto Then comes "pop" #2 and then a slight vibration with a squeely whine. So I pull over, no flat thank god so I get back in my car and the ABS inop is lit. Call my B/F to tell him I think I have a flat but I didn't LOL to my ABS inop is lit.

They pulled the cover and most of the 12 bolts were loose, one popped out and tore the welded on ABS ring completely off. The bolt caused a dent in the inside of the cover where it whacked it.

Just an FYI it left Moser this way can't believe I raced on it as much as I did with all those burnouts and all the times hitting the geras and it broke close to home not 200 miles away at a track I am going to in December

Another Friend of ours had this happen a month after he got his Moser 12 bolt.

Gee, $2200 and quality pretty much sucks in the area of assembly or lack of final inspection. Kicking myself that I shouldn't have been a cheap *** over backing plates I would have to buy had a bought a Strange rearend.

The car is back up after only a few hours down. We had an ABS ring from our other T/A that now has a spool so he welded that onto mine.

Hmmmm
Old 10-02-2005, 12:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Diff cover dented by the bolt

Chewed up ABS ring caused by the bolt and or this being completely knocked off

The ABS ring from our other car successfully welded onto my unit.
Old 10-03-2005, 08:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Happy ending, Moser is sending out N/C another ABS gear after they get mine back.

Thumbs up for customer service that to me was nice that I don't have to spend $100 for another one to replace on our other cars Posi.
Old 10-03-2005, 08:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

The sad thing is Strange isn't any better, I've got a 9" Strange center section with Moser housing and axles. Right from the factory the rear whined so bad at highway speeds it was a safety hazard.
After threatening Strange with the Consumers Product Safety Comission, they rebuilt the unit. I installed it still made noise but not as bad as before. Last week the unit froze up, had to take it out again and am having a local shop rebuild it. I've spent alot of money with mods on my car and I have to tell you it's hard to believe these ******** can't even put a rear end together correctly. This is the first real problem I've had with all the mods I've done.

Last edited by bigdsz; 10-04-2005 at 08:25 AM.
Old 10-04-2005, 04:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Wow, first Strange complaint I've heard. Funny my 12 bolt has been the quieter one.....compared to others with the same gears. And not too long ago I guess it was last week, my B/F said your rear is getting louder..........hmm........didn't think much of it because I drive it everyday but than again he hasn't been in his car for two months so of course mine's loud compared to a Taurus. And there was no noise at all to tell something could be wrong until that one bolt came out.

But I hear ya, sad that a newly assembled product built for RACING who would think your gonna have to re-check the bolts by having to remove the center ring and pinion and all to check?

I guess this is an FYI that mine left Moser this way...........granted I drove on this since Nov 2003 and I bought this new. But for bolts to loosen and back out to fall out?

That is why this post is here........for others, my ***** now fixed.