Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Anyone ever had an aftermarket Bilstein go bad??

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2002, 04:51 PM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Anyone ever had an aftermarket Bilstein go bad??

A few weeks ago I installed a brand new set of Bilsteins in a local buddy's car. I also threw on a set of SS springs. Everything was setup and installed correctly. Now he is getting a "thump" sound coming from the right front shock, almost sounds like the shock is bottoming out, or has no pressure. I pulled the assembly out again yesterday, and everything looked perfect. There was no movement anywhere, and everything was tight. I gunned down the shock nut just a little farther to eliminate any possible slack in the spring.

He drove it home, and getting the same thumping sound. I am willing to guess that it's a bad shock. I am gonna install the stock shock again this week and see if anything changes.

Anyone ever had a problem like this after installing Bilsteins?

Josh
Old 02-19-2002, 10:58 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Anyone ever had an aftermarket Bilstein go bad??

Yes I had 2 defective Bilsteins on my '89 Firbird, both on the front, and they made the sounds at every small bump right from the first ate of installation. One made an intolerable banging and I replaced it. The other made a lighter banging sound and I lived with it. The sound was internal to the shock and didn't make any noise when I shook it. Bilstein sent me a new shock. I had to screw with replcing it. I am down on Bilstein -- the quality control department is apparently the customer.
Old 02-20-2002, 01:20 PM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: Anyone ever had an aftermarket Bilstein go bad??

Tom, thanks for the response!