Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Need HELP!! Bad clunk underneath..

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2005, 01:34 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need HELP!! Bad clunk underneath..

My buddy has a 02 Firehawk with Stock rear,and drive shaft. 3.73's. with BMR control arms, adj. torque arm, panhard bar. running Nittos with M6. spraying 125 in 1st. Launched at the track today and started banging as soon as he launched. The car seems to make a load clunk at both the rear and the front of the driveshaft. Especially going around turns it seems to almost try and lock the rear tires up and the car bucks when it pops free or if i am in a turn sometimes it almost seems to kick the *** out without spinning..Drove it home from the track ok on the highway, every now and then it would clunk. Seems to do it more when it is in gear. Please help....
Old 10-29-2005, 10:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My first guess would be that the pinion nut has begun to back off.
Old 10-29-2005, 10:15 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do u have a locker in there! In my friends camaro he had a cheap o locker that fit in place of the spider gears! He spun it in a circle(donut) and broke the carriage inside and it did the pop sound like yours! The car was dam near not drivable, we managed to get it back to his house! The whole car would jump!

But then my other friend had a pop develop in his ford and it turned out that the ring gear had lost some teeth! This pop was only at low speeds, went away at highway speeds! But when doing 35 it was very noticeable!

If i were u id pull the cover, check all ur u joints once i cracked a cap and it fell out and it made it clunk! Althou this sounds like something inside ur rearend the way its binding up on you when u turn!

Good luck!