Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

weird rearend problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2005, 11:53 AM
Vax
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default weird rearend problem

My car was wrecked back in july, and it sat in the shop getting fixed for months (I was helping mybody guy who also happens to be a friend, to save some money on insurance costs) , all the damage was from the front of the motor forward, no actual motor damage, 1 dead shock tower and tons of cosmetic. We fixed everything, but now I've noticed a rear end problem...

So I got my car back and noticed a small tap (almost the sound of a baseball card in bike spokes, only metal to metal and much deeper)

mostly when I stopped, but recently I heard a single louder tap, going about 60 down the highway, and now it's rattling bad enough to hit my pro 5.0, (which causes obnoxious amounts of noise as you can imagine ) I checked the pinion gear and u joints, both are in good shape, so I took it to my mechanic and he said the sound is more than likely coming from the rear end it self.

My mechanic says it probably chipped a tooth off the spider gear and it's causing it to miss, so am I looking at a dead rear end or just new gears? I'm going to try to get insurance to pay for it in the case that they do, it's a 9" of course, but if they don't, I may have to just put gears in it, as this is my daily driver.

Any thoughts?
Old 10-31-2005, 05:48 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have seen broken spider gears make this same sound myself. Bob