Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

8.8 Ford rear going in Tuesday

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2005, 06:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by glennhl
Originally Posted by TRex
I
I would strongly advise you do the recommended heat treat. Welding nodular iron forms large precipetates of carbon in the area of the weld, severly weakening the iron. Heat treating removes these precipitates and relieves the stresses in the heat affected zone. Generally recommended to heat to 1000 to 1200 degrees for at least and hour, then let it cool slowly.
Wouldn't you worry about warping the housing if you do a post heat treat? The right way would be to weld it, heat treat it, then do all the machining on the housing. Why doesn't someone just come out with a new housing for the center section?
I was a little concerned with it, but the slow cooling is the right method to prevent warpage.

On mine, I did not heat treat with the alignment bar in the housing (1.5" steel bar through the center of axle bearings and pumpkin caps). After heat treat, it still slid through the alignment bushings (.002" clearance) with no problem. I checked axle camber with my camber gauge - accurate to within 1/8 degree - it measured 0 degrees dead nuts.

I would be even less worried if the steel bar was left in the housing during the process.
Old 11-18-2005, 07:43 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is the answer to all torque arm issues with the 8.8 rear. It is a chassis mounted torque arm designed for a Mustang. Assuming there is space enough to fit the crossbar on the chassis, and the right pinion angle can be acheived, this is the answer. Made to work with a TA (rear end cover brand)cover. I am picking one up as I want to upgrade my stock torque arm anyway and this seems like a way to kill 2 birds with one stone. Should have thought of this before.

I would recommend going this route to anyone who is building an 8.8 from scratch.

$300

Old 11-18-2005, 09:54 AM
9 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

No doubt it is the way to go for high horsepower cars. However, for cars that don't need it, it is a lot of extra weight and efficiency loss in terms of hp at the wheels.

I could afford anything I wanted, I built an 8.8 purely for the efficiency and light weight. My car is never going to be a 10 sec car. 400 rwhp is as high as I intend to build it, and 12 bolt or 8.8 is fine for that power level. 8.8 is lighter and more efficient than a 12 bolt, so that's what I decided to go with.

FYI
that is my EXACT point and the reason why i have been following this since inception. u seem to know what u are talking about, if you made these units they would sell! or had someone make them with your supervision of course u prob work 80 hrs a week and thousands of lives depend on u being there but a guy can dream cant he.
Old 11-18-2005, 10:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by 347fairless
This is the answer to all torque arm issues with the 8.8 rear. It is a chassis mounted torque arm designed for a Mustang. Assuming there is space enough to fit the crossbar on the chassis, and the right pinion angle can be acheived, this is the answer. Made to work with a TA (rear end cover brand)cover. I am picking one up as I want to upgrade my stock torque arm anyway and this seems like a way to kill 2 birds with one stone. Should have thought of this before.

I would recommend going this route to anyone who is building an 8.8 from scratch.

$300

That is a good solution, however that torque arm is $500 list, reduces ground clearance somewhat (not a lot, but we don't have a lot to start with), requires further fabrication with respect to the front locating point, and is requires shimming to adjust pinion angle (I'm not sure how much adjustment range is possible - not a Mustang guy )
Old 11-18-2005, 11:02 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

and requires shimming to adjust pinion angle (I'm not sure how much adjustment range is possible - not a Mustang guy )
that could easily be remedied with a hiem joint
Old 11-18-2005, 12:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by oange ss
that could easily be remedied with a hiem joint
Yes, but currently there is no heim joint in the Griggs design, and adding would add harshness and possibly reduce ground clearance further.
Old 11-18-2005, 12:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

i disagree and the ground clearance would be negilible if any at all
Old 11-18-2005, 12:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by oange ss
i disagree and the ground clearance would be negilible if any at all
I agree, some days I feel like my ground clearance is negilible
Old 11-18-2005, 06:05 PM
11 Second Club

Also you wouldn't be able to run in most clases due to that no longer being a stock suspension set up.
Old 12-08-2005, 10:43 PM
11 Second Club

Any updates? i guess it broke.
Old 12-10-2005, 12:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm waiting to hear if someone finally made an 8.8 that works in our cars? Any update?
Old 12-10-2005, 12:23 AM
11 Second Club

don't hold your breath. unless you yourself mke it then your only gonna save a couple hundred bux. definatly not worth the headache. i know first hand.
Old 12-10-2005, 08:58 AM
Teching In

I've been following this along for many of the same reasons mentioned so I thought I would finally give my two cents...

To avoid welding the cast iron housing, why not fabricate a TA mount to the axle like the aftermarket unit shown and then either build a complete torque arm that uses the stock rubber mount, or better yet buy a Spohn chassis mount torque arm and rework the end that mounts to the axle so that it mounts like the aftermarket unit...? That way the whole issue of welding cast iron is avoided and it's just a matter of welding good old steel. Just a thought...
Old 12-10-2005, 05:42 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 3BZ28
I've been following this along for many of the same reasons mentioned so I thought I would finally give my two cents...

To avoid welding the cast iron housing, why not fabricate a TA mount to the axle like the aftermarket unit shown and then either build a complete torque arm that uses the stock rubber mount, or better yet buy a Spohn chassis mount torque arm and rework the end that mounts to the axle so that it mounts like the aftermarket unit...? That way the whole issue of welding cast iron is avoided and it's just a matter of welding good old steel. Just a thought...
Thats all fine and dandy but you wouldn't be allowed in most classes because of non stock style suspension.
Old 12-10-2005, 06:25 PM
10 Second Club

i believe an 8.8 can hold up, i have had one in my car going on almost a year, car has seen probably a couple hundred passes, runs consistent low 1.6's on motor and high 1.4, low 1.5's on nitrous, i just put heads on the car, and am in the process of putting a Rossler TH350 in it with a brake and a 4400 stall, i hope to be high 1.3 to low 1.4 60' times, and i feel it will hold up just fine, i have had no problems or issues at all.
Old 12-10-2005, 06:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by URLOSN
i believe an 8.8 can hold up, i have had one in my car going on almost a year, car has seen probably a couple hundred passes, runs consistent low 1.6's on motor and high 1.4, low 1.5's on nitrous, i just put heads on the car, and am in the process of putting a Rossler TH350 in it with a brake and a 4400 stall, i hope to be high 1.3 to low 1.4 60' times, and i feel it will hold up just fine, i have had no problems or issues at all.
Who built the rearend? Will they build more? How did they weld up the center section for mounting the torque arm?
Old 12-10-2005, 08:57 PM
10 Second Club

Got it from a member on here, and he doesn't really have time to build anymore right now, cause i have had several people ask me and then when they contacted him, he told them he didn't have the time right now, but he may down the road, he used a special rod, i think a 70 or 80 series if i am not mistaken to make sure it displaced all the carbon in hte welds, so the welds do not crack or break. i have a 3750# car with me in it and i am cutting those 60' times, so i think that says something for the strength of the unit. i wish he would build more. i actually only bought the housing from him and ordered everything else seperately, and assembled it myself. by the time i was done, i had about 2100-2200 including parts and shipping. 31 spline axles( with abs/tcs), detroit true trac( 3 planetary version) , rear end girdle, billet 1350 yoke, 3.73 gears. the housing itself was : center section out of an 89 fox, 10 bolt axle tubes, and it has the ford 9" big bearing ends. main reason i went with this was for less drivetrain loss, over the 12 bolt and the 9"
Old 02-08-2007, 01:13 AM
11 Second Club

Sorry for digging this up from the dead, but just want to give an update. 14,000 miles later and 50 passes on Mickey Thompsons and the rear is alive and well. Will be putting mid 10 sec power to it this spring.
Old 02-08-2007, 10:03 AM
10 Second Club

I seen mustangs break 8.8's running 13's. I wouldnt be putting stock parts back in it. I've seen axles and differentials.
Old 02-20-2007, 04:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I posted in this thread earlier and have been following it a bit. I like the idea of the 8.8 because of it's light weight and relatively low parasitic loss as compared to the 12 bolt and 9". I think with the axle tubes being secured properly as they seem to be here and the elimination of the torque arm completely, this would be a good alternative. I am currently running a pseudo ladder bar set-up from G-Force Suspension that totally eliminates the torque arm. I'm not sure if they are a sponsor or not, but I do know there is an extensive post about them on this board (don't know how to post a link, sorry!). There is also another set-up called Pete-z bars or something like that, that accomplishes the same thing. I've had this set-up on for about a year daily driven (on New York roads) with around 25 or 30 low 12 second passes with 1.7 60's. I'd like to step it up a bit (maybe some spray), but I'm afraid of the stock 10 bolt. If I could get one of these relatively cheap minus the torque arm mount..........

Quick Reply: 8.8 Ford rear going in Tuesday