Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

HELP...DIFF going to BREAK?...HELP

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2005, 05:35 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default HELP...DIFF going to BREAK?...HELP

I think I have a worn crush sleeve bearing on the pinion gear. I recently replaced my carrier from the type 2 (it was the stock torsen w/2.73's) to the type 3 (it's a EATON w/GM 3.42's). I've noticed a "grinding" noise and a slight vibration in my diff for while now...it's very annoying and I know something must be wrong. I can usually hear this noise when I am letting off the gas.

When took off my DS off to inspect the pinion gear, I noticed there was a lot of play...I'm able to move it in all directions and it doesn't seen like its suppose to do that!!!
Well, I'm thinking of replacing the crush sleeve bearing, will this solve this problem or am I going to have to buy a new ring and pinion gear set since the current set might be too worn???

Thanks for the help guys.

Last edited by PERFECT Z28; 11-11-2005 at 05:43 PM.
Old 11-11-2005, 09:14 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah I would tear it back down if I where you that pinion isn't supposed to move abit!Ya can always tighten the nut till ya get 25 inch pounds of resistance and see what it does first!If ya keep driving it like that ya will mess something up for sure if not already!