Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

9" installed pics

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2005, 01:26 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 9" installed pics

Finally, after about three months of setbacks, my new rear end is almost completely installed.

Here you can see a little bit of everything.

A bit of the center section and torque arm mount.

The crappy stock torque arm from a better view.

A shot from the back. This shot really shows you how much bigger the 9" is than the stocker.

Here's a side view.

And that's about it for now. I just need a few finishing touches like mounting the sway bar once I get some non-defective u-bolts, ordering the driveshaft, and doing a bit of touch up painting and cleaning.
Old 11-17-2005, 01:36 PM
12 Second Club

Did you have to ditch the Posi and ABS?
Old 11-17-2005, 01:43 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by NumberOneSled
Did you have to ditch the Posi and ABS?
I wasn't able to keep the ABS. I could've ran a posi, but I chose to go with a full spool for durability and performance at the strip.
Old 11-17-2005, 02:01 PM
TECH Addict

Looks good man.

What do you mean 3 months of setbacks? The install took 3 months? Could you explain.

Thanks.
Old 11-17-2005, 02:09 PM
Teching In

hey man can you shoot me a few more pics of that torque arm mount as much as you care to take thanks man and email is dewayne.l.walker@us.army.mil
Old 11-17-2005, 02:10 PM
Launching!

did you keep the tcs ?, is there any way to keep the abs ?
Old 11-17-2005, 02:47 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Predator
Looks good man.

What do you mean 3 months of setbacks? The install took 3 months? Could you explain.

Thanks.
Thanks! Just everything that could go wrong did pretty much. After getting everything all assembled, I could not for the life of me get the axles to slip in to the spool. So I remove the center section and count the splines on the spool and it turns out to have 33, my axles are 35. So I send the center section (which I had already completely painted) back to have the correct spool swapped into it. I get the center back, and it's a different one that is unpainted. I spend a few days painting it and reinstall it. This time the axles slide right in and I'm ready for the install... In all my stupidity, I had the backing plates on the wrong sides and don't have the tools at my house to pull the bearings and axles. The rear goes off to the mechanic and he takes care of my screw up. Finally after all that, I started the install and it took me and a friend about 6 hours being that it was my first time doing it. And of course all this crap just took a lot of time in general.

Originally Posted by dodobird
hey man can you shoot me a few more pics of that torque arm mount as much as you care to take thanks man and email is dewayne.l.walker@us.army.mil
I get you some when I get home from work.
Originally Posted by oldschoolmuscle
did you keep the tcs ?, is there any way to keep the abs ?
I have 3 channel and therefore there is no TCS. 4 channel systems you can keep the ABS and some people have done some custom work to keep 3 channel ABS. I really don't care to keep the ABS being that the car isn't my daily driver.
Old 11-17-2005, 03:42 PM
Banned

Who ever did the install good job i wish my rear end look that good
Old 11-17-2005, 03:46 PM
TECH Addict

LoPeY, No pain no gain.

Seriously, you went through a lot of frustration with the axles and so forth but I think you'll be very happy in the end. Good job!!
Old 11-17-2005, 06:18 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Cheater
Who ever did the install good job i wish my rear end look that good
A buddy and I did it on the floor of my garage. I need to do some touch up painting and cleaning though. I can't stand my car as dirty as it is right now since it has been sitting for three months.

LoPeY, No pain no gain.

Seriously, you went through a lot of frustration with the axles and so forth but I think you'll be very happy in the end. Good job!!
That's true, I'm about to go out and get some measurements for the driveshaft and take some more pics. I know it'll all be worth it once the 6000rpm launches come.
Old 11-17-2005, 07:04 PM
TECH Resident

Dodobird - The files weren't attaching through email, but here are some more shots of the torque arm mount.

Old 11-17-2005, 07:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

where did you get that rear from?
Old 11-17-2005, 08:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Those pics make me very sure I'm doing the right thing by saving up for a 9". Nice job.

-Mike
Old 11-17-2005, 08:20 PM
11 Second Club

is that what stock calipers look like? lmao its been so long I totally forgot looking good. What kind of adj. panhard bar is that? double adjustable? I need to get one so Ive been lookin around a little.
Old 11-17-2005, 09:14 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by chupr0kabra
Those pics make me very sure I'm doing the right thing by saving up for a 9". Nice job.

-Mike
Thank you! I had to save up quite a bit for the 9".

Originally Posted by 01350ss
where did you get that rear from?
Scott @ Driveline Solutions He's working on becoming a sponsor.

Originally Posted by RaNsOm
is that what stock calipers look like? lmao its been so long I totally forgot looking good. What kind of adj. panhard bar is that? double adjustable? I need to get one so Ive been lookin around a little.
The stockers are actually an ugly starting to rust metal looking color. I painted them red with a duplicolor kit. The panhard is single on-car adjustable by UMI with one rod end and one poly end. Young at Byunspeed gave me a great deal on it and it came with his free shipping like always.
Old 11-18-2005, 12:13 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Yeah, sorry for the mix up with the spool, I did give Matt my fedex acct. number and he shipped it back to me to fix (no props there I see) but he was very understanding and not in a hurry to get it done. Good to see you got it together.
Old 11-18-2005, 02:07 AM
TECH Addict

Question

Originally Posted by LoPeY
That's true, I'm about to go out and get some measurements for the driveshaft and take some more pics. I know it'll all be worth it once the 6000rpm launches come.
LoPeY, that's one thing I was wondering about, do you have to install the rearend first, then measure for the driveshaft length and order it? I was hoping that if you gave the vendor info about your car he would know the length the DS has to be? Or are all cars a little different? Thanks.
Old 11-18-2005, 05:36 AM
Teching In

hey lopey great pics man that helps a bunch considering that i am going to build my own ( nice to have a good welding machine and be able to use it) but i have one more ? what is that housing made of is it steel or cast
Old 11-18-2005, 05:21 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 1BAD86Z28
Yeah, sorry for the mix up with the spool, I did give Matt my fedex acct. number and he shipped it back to me to fix (no props there I see) but he was very understanding and not in a hurry to get it done. Good to see you got it together.
It happens so no big deal. Good customer service (taking care of mistakes free of charge) is what makes a great company. I was in a huge hurry to get it done, but then again who isn't when it comes to finishing up work on a car. It's more important to get it done right.

LoPeY, that's one thing I was wondering about, do you have to install the rearend first, then measure for the driveshaft length and order it? I was hoping that if you gave the vendor info about your car he would know the length the DS has to be? Or are all cars a little different? Thanks.
I was told by PST to get measurements with the suspension under load so it entailed the install first. And with how bad the tolerances (had to grind for 30 minutes) were on the mount for the panhard, there was no way I would order a driveshaft without getting exact measurements. I would imagine every car is different.

Originally Posted by dodobird
hey lopey great pics man that helps a bunch considering that i am going to build my own ( nice to have a good welding machine and be able to use it) but i have one more ? what is that housing made of is it steel or cast
No problem on the pics, I'm glad I could help. I sure wish I was able to weld, it's something I'm going to learn in the future. I'm not positve about the housing, but I would imagine it's mild steel.