Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Rear End FAQ!

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 02:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 channel vs 3 channel availablity

Did certain gear ratio rear ends come only with traction control or is traction control an option. For example, did the optional 3.23 rears for automatics come only with traction control?
Old 03-18-2008, 08:03 PM
Teching In

Default Just an option

The traction control was just an option. I have 3.23 gears with an automatic and don't have traction control.
Old 06-24-2008, 03:57 PM
11 Second Club

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

That is a great write up man and very informing thanks....
Old 10-17-2008, 02:47 PM
Teching In

will a 10 bolt from a 85' camaro bolt in to my 2000 z28?
Old 12-27-2008, 09:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am going to say this and not to be shouvenistic (SP?) but dang it is awesome to see attractive women workin on cars your bf/husbad or gf ( I add that cause you never know and well hell bein from Cali PC is in my nature for some dumb reason) must be freakin proud and one lucky SOB, that write up helped me understand how that all works at some point I will actually get back there and do the gears up myself.

By me the only women that work on cars look like they could break me and are slightly scary... haha

Awesome write up fantastic pictures (I love picture books yeah I am that guy) haha.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yea Keli will you marry me... I have alot I need to get finished and I live in NC......
Old 01-12-2011, 12:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Is there a thread write up comparing the 12 bolt & Ford 9" Thought I found one while back but can't find it again...
Old 01-28-2011, 06:35 PM
TECH Resident

Default 3 Channel Installed Photo

I have read a few posts that mentioned some ABS only (no TCS-traction control) 2002 Camaro's have 4 channel rears. Before buying or searching for a rear, I wanted to be sure what mine had. I have found very few photos showing exactly what a 3 channel rear looks like installed in the car, so I thought I would share mine.

3 Channel Rear:

Old 03-02-2011, 10:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

i'm hearing a rotating grinding sound at low speed that i swear is coming from the back of my car, and at high speeds it's very noisy with some vibration and i am dying to get it fixed.

I have a 93 Trans Am which I think has the BW 9".

Any ideas?
Old 04-01-2011, 03:34 PM
On The Tree

How do I know what ring gear size I have?
Old 02-23-2012, 10:34 PM
Launching!

I have a question from number 16,,, what if I replaced my 3 series rear end with one that had traction control (4 series) can I make the traction control work?
Old 02-24-2012, 08:28 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by willy9
I have a question from number 16,,, what if I replaced my 3 series rear end with one that had traction control (4 series) can I make the traction control work?
You would have to add the reluctor ring (as seen in this post)

Originally Posted by keliente
thanks, I edited it and put that in there. I guess I do count 10 now

and the sensor (as seen in this post)

Originally Posted by BrianSF-GA
I have read a few posts that mentioned some ABS only (no TCS-traction control) 2002 Camaro's have 4 channel rears. Before buying or searching for a rear, I wanted to be sure what mine had. I have found very few photos showing exactly what a 3 channel rear looks like installed in the car, so I thought I would share mine.

3 Channel Rear:

from your stock 3-channel.
Old 02-26-2012, 02:25 PM
Teching In

so an 04 crown vic 8.8 inch rear. what gear ratio is it? what exactly will i have to do to put it in the back of the ws6 with 430 to the wheels.
Old 09-10-2015, 02:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default different rearends among the 93-02's. what swaps and what wont?

15. What's the difference between a 3 channel and 4 channel rear?dum

A three channel rear end has ABS. A 4 channel rear end has ABS and traction control. A 'channel' is just a way of describing the means for a speed sensor to gauge the wheel speed. On a 3 channel rear end, the two front wheels have sensors, and there is one sensor on top of the rear end housing that reads for the whole rear. On a 4 channel rear end, there is a speed sensor at every wheel. 4 channel rear ends have reluctor wheels on each axle, 3 channel rears have one big reluctor ring on the differential. Because a 4 channel has a sensor at each rear wheel it can see the difference in speed between one wheel and the other, and ta-da, you have traction control.

16. Will a 3 channel rear end work in my 4 channel car?dum

Yes, you can make it work, if you put the axles from your four channel car into the 3 channel rear end and install the sensors into the backing plate. To put a 4 series into a 3 series would be more difficult, because it would require you to drill in the top of the rear housing for the sensor, and add a reluctor ring to the carrier as well.

17. Can't I just edit ASR/ABS out of the PCM with tuning software?dum

No, it is controlled by the EBCM.

I have a 97 camaro and am looking to pickup a used 98 10bolt. I can already see the brakes are mounted differently but, what else would be different? Will it swap? This sticky mentions the above info about the 3 & 4 channel rear ends... my car does not have traction control but does have abs, so, i have a 3ch right? Now, if the rearend i want to switch to is a 4ch is sounds like this info say it will not switch without drilling the housing? I dont understand...
Old 09-11-2015, 06:02 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 136 Likes on 120 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

the 4 channel rear you want to put in has the a sensor mounted at each brake backing plate with a reluctor ring mounted on each axle end.

Name:  34channelaxles.jpg
Views: 1673
Size:  59.5 KB

Your 3 channel rear has a reluctor ring mounted on the ring gear carrier with the sensor on top of the rearend. 4 channel rears do not have that hole at top to mount the sensor.

Name:  Housingsensorlocation-1.jpg
Views: 1506
Size:  111.7 KB
Old 05-14-2016, 12:14 PM
Teching In

Can anyone point me in the direction of half shaft to diff backlash specs please? I'm working on a 98 Firebird and found 3/8" wheel movement before engaging the diff gears. This slop is consistent on both sides.

Many thanks in advanced
Old 05-14-2016, 12:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 136 Likes on 120 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

that 3/8" slop/play,if you're measuring at the outer diameter of a 26" diameter tire is probably normal. that 3/8" equates to about 1 1/2 degrees. Since you've got a 98 and it should have an Auburn differential,you'd have 3 areas were play could accumulate from. the splines on the axles into the splines of the differential,the spider gears within the differential itself and the ring & pinion gearset.
Old 05-14-2016, 12:53 PM
Teching In

How much play would you consider normal while in 1st gear?

I've measured 1/2" while in first gear and it makes for a very sloppy clunky drive in this car. The local shop recommends a diff rebuild and additional shims.

I have pics and videos in this other thread, could you take a look please? page 6: https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...e-first-6.html

Many thanks in advanced!
Old 06-09-2016, 12:00 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MaDMaX350
Can anyone point me in the direction of half shaft to diff backlash specs please? I'm working on a 98 Firebird and found 3/8" wheel movement before engaging the diff gears. This slop is consistent on both sides.

Many thanks in advanced
Took the car to a shop and they found a loose carrier, destroyed axle bearing, beat up axle, no pinion preload, worn gears, and incorrect gear spacing left to right.

The lose carrier was the largest contributor to the slop.
Old 12-02-2017, 10:58 PM
Staging Lane

Hey Guys (and gals),

I have some howling coming from the back of the car and and clunk when I put it in gear from time to time, so I'm going to replace the diff. I got a master mechanic who's gracious enough to help me put it in, but I wanted to pick the community's brain before we dive in so I've at least done my part.

I use my '01 WS6 M6 as a DD and it only has catback at this point. I have a new intake and throttle body, and will put some headers on, but I don't have plans to go much further than that. I took it to the strip once and plan to do a little auto-cross at some point too, but don't plan to do much more than that.

I've spent some time researching over the last couple weeks and wanted to air my thoughts out and see what feedback I could receive.

Because I want to DD and do just a small bit of screwing around on the track or otherwise, I think a 10-bolt will be fine, especially for my budget. I've seen post after post about Ford 9", 12-bolts, and so forth, but I don't need to spend $1,500 or $2,500.

From what I can tell, if I want a quiet ride, Motives and AAM are my best bet. Richmond is tough, but loud, and a lot of the cheaper options from like Summit Racing, Strange, US Gear, or otherwise have a better chance of being louder.

It sounds like my stock gear is a 3.42 ratio, which I'll be changing to 4.10 after reviewing this post to see how it would affect my ride: https://ls1tech.com/forums/gears-axl...ere-first.html

I've seen a lot of posts promoting Eaton carriers, and after reviewing Eaton's Application Guide, I'm leaning towards an Eaton TrueTrac carrier (7.5/7.625): http://www.eaton.com/ecm/idcplg?IdcS...Name=CT_128302
See page 5.

I've seen that I need to have enough carrier pre-load and that I use the right shims.

I'll also need an install kit, or to buy the equipment separate (bearings, gear oil, shims, etc.)

So I'd love some feedback on the above parts, which sounds like the minimum I need to consider when swapping my diff.

Also, I've been reading about how to strengthen the 10-bolt beyond this. I'm particularly interested in hearing about this as well...

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/hppp-...rearend-build/
This post talks about welding the axle tubes, using a different diff cover, and putting in a whole new set of axles.

http://www.ws6transam.org/10bolt.html
This post is for the 3rd gen, but it references the 10-bolt and mentions a Zytanium Cross Pin that kind of caught my attention. I was wondering if this was applicable for my build too. It also mentions an addition diff cover or girdle that the above post references.

I think that's it. Would love to hear back from anyone who has some experience playing around. I'm not looking to invest a ton of money, but I do want to do this well.

Thanks

Mike

Quick Reply: Rear End FAQ!