Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Detroit True Trac in a 12-Bolt?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2005, 08:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why will the truetrac not fit the strange rear?
Old 11-30-2005, 02:25 AM
TECH Addict

PF, Speedracer said that the 33 spline on the Strange is cut at a different angle than needed for the True Trac.
Old 11-30-2005, 03:00 AM
TECH Addict

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
Yes you can indeed you the sway bar mounting kits that are designed for the three inch axle housing, thats not a problem.

We install a lot of the BMR trac paks and the Spohn 405 torque arms on Moser 12 bolts. We use loc tite and do not have a problem with the bolts. Bob
Sounds good Bob! Thanks for the help.
Old 11-30-2005, 12:05 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like my Random Tech tq arm will work as well. Thanks Bob.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:17 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The true track is available for the strange rear, bought mine april from moser with the 45 degree pressure angle that strange uses and from what moser told me they will be using the same cut as strange in the future.

John
Old 11-30-2005, 06:07 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, all the torque arms will work with the Moser rear-ends. You just want to make sure to loc-tite the bolts. Bob
Old 11-30-2005, 09:07 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by John35thSS
The true track is available for the strange rear, bought mine april from moser with the 45 degree pressure angle that strange uses and from what moser told me they will be using the same cut as strange in the future.

John
That's confusing. You bought a Strange 12-bolt from Moser?? And if Moser starts using the "same cut" as Strange, how will the True Trac mate up? From what I hear, the current True Tracs won't work with Strange. Please explain. Thanks.
Old 12-01-2005, 05:41 AM
On The Tree

I bought my dif from strange with a crappy us gear diff, ran it for a year rebuilt th posi twice before I replaced it. I was sent to moser by true track tech line.

John
Old 12-04-2005, 06:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

John
Can anyone verify that you can get a true trac in the strange rear? This is what I want but thought that it was not possible.
Old 12-05-2005, 06:17 AM
On The Tree

Just check true tracks web site if you don't believe me, they have two different 33 spline applications.One with a 45 degree pressure angle, one 33 degree pressure angle.

Its in my car right now, and the reality is moser or strange will cut axles with both angles they just use different standards so they won't be interchangable.

John
Old 12-05-2005, 07:49 AM
TECH Addict

John, do you, or anyone know if Billingsley can put a True Trac in a Strange for sale?

Thanks.
Old 12-05-2005, 02:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ok, we need one of the sponsors that sell the strange product that they can do a true trac with 33 spline.
Old 12-05-2005, 02:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the reality is moser or strange will cut axles with both angles they just use different standards so they won't be interchangable.
How much did that cost? Custom setup right?
Too bad Strange told me that they wouldn't do that. Otherwise, I would have gone that route, price permiting. Why is Moser cutting teeth for Trachtech (AKA Detroit)? I couldnt find any catalog items for 33deg trutrack, maybe I missed it.
http://www.detroitlocker.com/images/LTPCAGweb91305.pdf

I asked Billingsley about building a strange 12 bolt 33 spline with trutrack differential a few months ago. Nobody ever returned my request, so I figured they had bigger fish to fry and went with Moser through EPP.

I have no doubt that axles can be cut to mate a trutrack in a Strange housing. But with concerns over catalog items, I wasn't about to build a custom rear with either company (Strange or Moser), unless it was set up by Billingsley or other reputable builder.

Bottom line is, if the salesman is non-responsive or doesnt know his product, I'm not about to hand over my hard earned money.
Old 12-05-2005, 02:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I called the people who make the true trac and was told at this time the ones for the gm 12 bolt style are being cut at a 45* pressure angle. Can anyone find out if this will work in the strange application? This pressure angle was based off of a 33 spline axle.
Old 12-05-2005, 02:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SSpeedracer
How much did that cost? Custom setup right?
Too bad Strange told me that they wouldn't do that. Otherwise, I would have gone that route, price permiting. Why is Moser cutting teeth for Trachtech (AKA Detroit)? I couldnt find any catalog items for 33deg trutrack, maybe I missed it.
http://www.detroitlocker.com/images/LTPCAGweb91305.pdf

I asked Billingsley about building a strange 12 bolt 33 spline with trutrack differential a few months ago. Nobody ever returned my request, so I figured they had bigger fish to fry and went with Moser through EPP.

I have no doubt that axles can be cut to mate a trutrack in a Strange housing. But with concerns over catalog items, I wasn't about to build a custom rear with either company (Strange or Moser), unless it was set up by Billingsley or other reputable builder.

Bottom line is, if the salesman is non-responsive or doesnt know his product, I'm not about to hand over my hard earned money.
I have been all over the site and could not find a part number for the current 12 bolt tru trac part.
Old 12-05-2005, 03:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I found the answer. The spline depth is different between the moser and strange axles. The true trac and strange axles are very loose and will not work properly.
Old 12-05-2005, 04:27 PM
TECH Addict

Good job pushinfreight!

I know that John says he has a True Trac in his Strange, but for all practicable purposes, we are limited to Moser if we want a True Trac in a 12-bolt?
Old 12-05-2005, 06:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

After speaking with US Gear, unless the company that makes the true trac is willing to have a version based off of the Strange axles then it will not be the best fit. Unfortunitly I do not have the money to request custom axle so looks like if you want the true trac then moser it is for the 12bolt.
Old 12-05-2005, 09:48 PM
On The Tree

When I called the true track tech line originally in dec 04 the rep told me the only diff available was in 33 degree (old moser) and the 45 degree was going to be available feb march 05. I waited and when available called moser and had them order one from detroit true trac. I spoke to Tony in tech at moser and he told me moser was going to be building all their new axles with a 45 degree angle same as strange.

Also I checked fit of axles in posi's on bench and the both the us gear (original strange posi) and true trac had the same backlash.

The only problem I had was setting up the abs with the new reluctor ring.

I went through the same problems when trying to get answers when making my decision, the guy at detroit true trac was very helpfull.

John
Old 12-06-2005, 04:39 AM
TECH Addict

Thumbs up

When I called the true track tech line originally in dec 04 the rep told me the only diff available was in 33 degree (old moser) and the 45 degree was going to be available feb march 05. I waited and when available called moser and had them order one from detroit true trac. I spoke to Tony in tech at moser and he told me moser was going to be building all their new axles with a 45 degree angle same as strange.

Also I checked fit of axles in posi's on bench and the both the us gear (original strange posi) and true trac had the same backlash.

The only problem I had was setting up the abs with the new reluctor ring.

I went through the same problems when trying to get answers when making my decision, the guy at detroit true trac was very helpfull.

John
John, it sounds like the True Trac setup should be available, now, for both the Strange and Moser 12-bolts.

What problems did you have with abs?

Thanks for the info John, and thanks pfreight.

Quick Reply: Detroit True Trac in a 12-Bolt?