Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Rear is leaking around Driveshaft?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2005, 05:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rear is leaking around Driveshaft?

Guys, my car is making alot more gear noise then normal, so I got under my car today and saw the rearend oil is sprayed all over my exhaust pipe and towards the front of the Diff. around where the driveshaft hooks to it.. what could this be, and i need to know soon so I can fix it before my rearend blows out..LOL

Thanks guys

Landon
Old 12-01-2005, 05:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Could be your pinion seal or rear cover seal. I had the same thing happen to me after a local shop did a not so good job on a rear end rebuild. It's pretty easy to add more rear end fluid which is what I would try first.

Maybe try cleaning it all up really good so if it continues to leak you can tell where it's coming from.

I ended up taking it to another shop and having the whole thing rebuilt, no more leak or whine...
Old 12-02-2005, 09:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

tighten up all the perimeter bolts around the cover, and yea, could be and probably is your pinion seal.
Old 12-02-2005, 09:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Tighten up all the perimeter bolts around the cover, and yea, could be and probably is your pinion seal. Better yet, take the rear cover off, put a sealer around the base of the rear, put the cover back on, and add the right fluid. Then you will know if its your pinion seal or not.
Old 12-04-2005, 08:28 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It you have oil sprayed up on the underbody, more than likely it is from the pinion seal. We recently had a guy call and want us to look at his rear-end, as he said he had a leak. On his way to our shop his rear gave up on Hyw 69. It turned out that his rear went completely dry and the teeth on the gears were completely gone. Boy did that rear smell when we pulled the cover off of it!!!! Bob
Old 12-04-2005, 04:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmm, this is covered in the rear end FAQ at the very top of the page...