Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

4 inch driveshaft?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2005, 11:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 4 inch driveshaft?

Will a 4 inch driveshaft work with aftermarket torque arms? Any problems ill be running into by using a 4 incher?
Old 12-18-2005, 06:55 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 3.5" driveshaft is as big as I would run, as clearances get very tight. Bob
Old 12-18-2005, 07:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok, theres a guy up in fort wayne near you that builds them. Says he sells them for about 180 bucks for a 4 inch aluminum one. I thought it would be too large. I will probably be getting ahold of you this spring by the way. I would like to dyno and tune the car when its all finished. Thanks.
Old 12-18-2005, 07:32 PM
TECH Resident

http://www.acpt.com/driveshaft/driveshafts.html

If it can fit you budget I'd get a CF driveshaft..

Shaft for AWD DSM pictured... Eliminates a hanger and two shorter shafts...

Installing a carbon fiber driveshaft in my World Challenge Road Race Camaro was the best decision I have made in a long time. The first time at the track something seemed odd about the car. After about two laps, I figured out that there was a smoothness in the driveline that I was never able to achieve with the aluminum shafts I had before. Which, by the way, had to be replaced at least once a year depending on how rough the tracks are. Thanks for the service and the great fit.

Myron Cottrell
President, Tuned Port Induction Specialties, Inc.

UPS delivered my ACPT carbon fiber shaft and I installed on my 94Z28 6M car last night. First off, I have to say just picking the thing up put me in disbelief. It's hard to imagine a driveshaft that is so light!

Previously, my car had a nasty vibration with a straightened and balanced steel shaft (3.73 gears in the rear now) starting around 75 mph and continuing to 95, then smoothing out, then continuing on and off through WARP 1, WARP 2, etc.

To the test drive: I noticed the difference with the carbon fiber shaft immediately, say from 20 mph up. SMOOOOTH. Wow. Reminds me of my neighbor's Lexus! I had no idea how much NVH was transmitted through that steel shaft. It was a VERY noticable difference; heck even my fiancee (who couldn't tell I put Eibach springs on my car ;-)) was the first one in the car to say "why isn't the car vibrating like it use to" (she doesn't know about the carbon fiber shaft expenditure - I told here we were just going for a ride :-))

Well, I accelerated up into the old "come apart at the seams vibration zone" and guess what? COMPLETE elimination of the vibration. I continued to WARP 1, WARP 2 (screams were coming from the passenger seat at this point) as STILL no vibration.

Objectively, I can say this has been the best money I've spent on the car (next to NOS of course :-)). It's much smoother AND seat of the pants faster. Next week will be the dyno test. If I don't see ONE extra horsepower out of this thing, I WILL NOT CARE - the money spent was well worth elimination of that DA%# vibration I've been dealing with (even when I tried the aluminum ILE shaft).

I am not affiliated, blah blah blah ... with ACPT in any way, and I PAID, with my own hard earned money, for the carbon fiber shaft. This shaft just plain WORKS!! Thank you James Leslie at ACPT for a SUPERIOR aftermarket product.
Old 12-19-2005, 05:10 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

Originally Posted by Strokinit383
Ok, theres a guy up in fort wayne near you that builds them. Says he sells them for about 180 bucks for a 4 inch aluminum one. I thought it would be too large. I will probably be getting ahold of you this spring by the way. I would like to dyno and tune the car when its all finished. Thanks.
$180.00 is really cheap!!! See you in the Spring. Have a great Christmas! Bob

Quick Reply: 4 inch driveshaft?