Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Need help with this pattern - pics inside

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2006, 09:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Firebird!
Here is again 0.125 backlash with me holding pinion with one hand
Okay, Set it back to .010 and let it go.

You now can see and understand the effect or each change.

Good job.
Old 02-07-2006, 10:01 AM
Staging Lane

Great! I will receive my solid pinion spacer on thursday, gonna play a little with that and then put everything together.

Any suggestions on installing solid pinion spacers?

Thanks
Old 02-07-2006, 03:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Great! I will receive my solid pinion spacer on thursday, gonna play a little with that and then put everything together.

Any suggestions on installing solid pinion spacers?

Thanks
When you get it I will walked you through it.
Old 02-08-2006, 04:43 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by DynoDR
When you get it I will walked you through it.
Thank You Dyno, but is there really more than actually putting everything together with different shims and mesuring pinion preload?
I'm thinking mesuring my overcrashed crush sleeve and go with that for a start point, may be a little more - right?

Last edited by Firebird!; 02-09-2006 at 07:50 AM.
Old 02-09-2006, 07:51 AM
Staging Lane

Bump!
Old 02-09-2006, 08:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Solid pinion spacer is really pretty much that easy. Put it together with the spacer, all shims, and the seal and diff out. It will turn very easy and have some noticeable clearance in the bearings. Then just start removing shims a little at a time until you get the right preload.

In my experience, the pinion preload does not seem to be particularly sensitive to shim changes, .010 in shim change does not make a huge change in preload, fyi.
Old 02-09-2006, 09:04 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TRex
Solid pinion spacer is really pretty much that easy. Put it together with the spacer, all shims, and the seal and diff out. It will turn very easy and have some noticeable clearance in the bearings. Then just start removing shims a little at a time until you get the right preload.

In my experience, the pinion preload does not seem to be particularly sensitive to shim changes, .010 in shim change does not make a huge change in preload, fyi.
Thanks TRex - Exactly what I thought - just trying to get more info on that before I'll try to mess with that
Old 02-09-2006, 11:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks TRex - Exactly what I thought - just trying to get more info on that before I'll try to mess with that
Yeah, you got the idea. You will have no problem with that.

About time to drive this thing, hope everything turns out okay.
Old 02-09-2006, 09:38 PM
Staging Lane

Hey guys - put everything together and drove that thing for a bit. I would not say that I really happy with my work. I still hear some low pitch sound in a back. But – hell – it is so much better than before with the broken pinion bearing.
Also I am not really happy with the Ratech solid spacer I got today. It is cheaply made and there were three 0.010 shims, one 0.015 and one 0.020. With 0.020 and 0.015 shims I had 10 in/lbs and with 0.020 and 0.010 I had 35 in/lbs ?! I had to use my dremel tool to get that spacer 0.002 smaller to get the proper pinion preload. But still, I think it is so much easier to install solid spacer than a crush sleeve – specially if you don’t have the proper tools.

I really appreciate your help guys – you are great.
Thank you

Attached Thumbnails Need help with this pattern - pics inside-100_1446.jpg  
Old 02-10-2006, 06:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey guys - put everything together and drove that thing for a bit. I would not say that I really happy with my work. I still hear some low pitch sound in a back. But – hell – it is so much better than before with the broken pinion bearing.
Also I am not really happy with the Ratech solid spacer I got today. It is cheaply made and there were three 0.010 shims, one 0.015 and one 0.020. With 0.020 and 0.015 shims I had 10 in/lbs and with 0.020 and 0.010 I had 35 in/lbs ?! I had to use my dremel tool to get that spacer 0.002 smaller to get the proper pinion preload. But still, I think it is so much easier to install solid spacer than a crush sleeve – specially if you don’t have the proper tools.

I really appreciate your help guys – you are great.
Thank you

I agree on the Ratech stuff, definitely low quality. Next time I will probably make my own spacer and try to buy shims from someone like McMaster Carr (they make a variety of shim sizes)
Old 02-28-2006, 08:46 AM
Staging Lane

Hey guys - me again. I have pull my rear end apart again because after that rebuild it still have some low pitch noise that was getting on my nerves.
Got couple questions.
1st pic is my axle shaft that have some wear on it (the other one has a wear too but not as bad) - just wonder if this is normal or I need to do something about it - would like to hear your suggestions
2nd and 3rd pics are the drive and coast side of the ring - what do you think about that? it is 3.42 GM used gears .026 pinion shims and .007 backlash

thanks
Attached Thumbnails Need help with this pattern - pics inside-axle.jpg   Need help with this pattern - pics inside-d026pd_007bl.jpg   Need help with this pattern - pics inside-c026pd_007bl.jpg  

Last edited by Firebird!; 03-01-2006 at 02:55 PM.
Old 02-28-2006, 11:19 AM
Staging Lane

this is with 0.024 pinion depth 0.011 backlash
looks a little better I think
Attached Thumbnails Need help with this pattern - pics inside-d024pd_010bl.jpg   Need help with this pattern - pics inside-c024pd_010bl.jpg  
Old 02-28-2006, 08:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Drive side is showing too deep, need less shim. Whine on accel or decel ? Can't see the axle pics, although it is common to have wear in the bearing area that causes a whine.
Old 02-28-2006, 08:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Drive side is showing too deep, need less shim. Whine on accel or decel ? Can't see the axle pics, although it is common to have wear in the bearing area that causes a whine.
Old 03-01-2006, 03:28 PM
Staging Lane

It was constant noise not depending on accel or decel - just depending on the speed - the faster the louder

think my axle(s) are the problem - should have checked them at the first time
Old 03-01-2006, 09:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Uh, yeah, that sounds like a bearing issue. If the axles are pitted, scored, etc. at the bearing surface, most probably it. I have a few spare if you need one or two.
Old 03-02-2006, 07:49 AM
Staging Lane

Uh, yeah, that sounds like a bearing issue. If the axles are pitted, scored, etc. at the bearing surface, most probably it. I have a few spare if you need one or two.
I think I'll try to polish mine, BTW how much you want for yours including shipping to 33810?
Old 03-02-2006, 08:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Seems like the going rate for them is about $55 plus shipping. I've sold a couple to other board members for that price. I don't remember what they weigh, so it is difficult for me to check shipping right now (I'm out of town right now), but I don't add anything onto it to ship, whatever UPS charges. I'm in N. Illinois btw, if that helps - 60098 zip code. Can you weigh one and shoot me a number, I'll check shipping cost.

Let me know if you need one
Old 03-02-2006, 05:22 PM
10 Second Club

Drive side is showing too deep, need less shim. Whine on accel or decel ?
What he said!

Also, what brand of gears are these? In the dozen or so 10 bolt installs I've done, that is the smallest pinion shim I've seen! I don't think I've ever had to use less than .030.

Old 03-02-2006, 09:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

yeah, if its a contant noise, it could be that axle bearing. pull it out and see how it looks. if it looks bad, i'd replace BOTH of them. are/were there any fluid leaks anywhere on the axle? if the bearing isn't just worn from age/mileage, it may have failed because of low lubricant level. also, like everyone else has said, it looks like the pinion is hitting the ring gear too deep. FWIW, even it it turns out to have been the axle bearig causing the noise, think of how much you've learned over this episode.