Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

'98-'02 axle width for use in a hot rod

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2006, 12:12 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '98-'02 axle width for use in a hot rod

Hi All,

I'm working on an old pickup that is going to be a daily cruiser/rod. I really would like to drop in an ls1, and I've been thinking hard about using the front suspension and engine cradle, and possibly the rear axle and rear suspension out of a '98 - '02 camaro or firebird.

I would like to know, EXACTLY, the width of both suspensions from wheel mounting surface to wheel mounting surface. I would like to avoid cutting up and narrowing these items if at all possible. I'm also looking at trying to keep the tires and such inside the fenders.

Does anyone have or know these two dimensions? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Thor
Old 02-13-2006, 10:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

do not use the rear out of a 97-02 F-body.

repeat that to yourself as many times as it takes.
go to the junkyard and find a corporate 8.5" 10 bolt, they're way stronger, easy to find, and easy to make very strong. or if your'e lucky, find a 12 bolt with the dimensions you're looking for. You're asking for a headache by using a 7.5" 10 bolt. they're so weak it's pathetic.
what pickup is it? you might get more responses by posting what you've got. try posting in the conversions and hybrids section, as well.
good luck
olly
Old 02-14-2006, 05:05 PM
Launching!

The measurement from backing plate to backing plate is 59 1/8". Not sure how much more to include for the wheel mounting surfaces. You can go to strange engineerings website and look at there online catalog or request a paper catalog. They have a detailed blueprint of there bolt in 12 bolts for the Fbody. Should be close if not exact to the factory specs. Hope that helps.

Dave
Old 02-16-2006, 07:38 PM
On The Tree

With rotors mine measures 59 1/4". Out of a '97 TA.
Old 03-13-2006, 01:37 AM
Teching In

Thor , I pulled up this old thread on a search. On using the front suspension/engine cradle from a camaro----can it be done? I've been looking for info to swap an '00 z28 cradle into an old Studebaker. You sound like you are more familiar with cradle swaps than I am. Are there any kits, brackets, project journals, etc. on this subject? Other resources or info? Sorry for resurrecting the old post guys but it's one of the few leads I have to look into. Thanks, John

Quick Reply: '98-'02 axle width for use in a hot rod