Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Corvette transaxle on an F-Body??

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 05:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
Probably the best IRS I know of is the Jaguar setup from the XJ40 and XJS platform. This is a very well proven setup. And is more than capable.

It has been used on many many cars such as hot rods and AC Cobra replica's. But as with most IRS setups it will weigh more than a live rear setup.

Persoanlly, unless you are mega rich or have a very specific need/want I can't see any IRS conversion being cost affective, or even out performing the live rear in anything but ride comfort, but that's probably only marginal.
Still, with the C5 IRS you would be able to use a TH400, 4L80, or T56 very easy. Would you be able to do that with the Jag set up?
Old 02-13-2006, 09:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

The big question is why. Why convert an f-body to an independent style rear suspension. Bad for drag racing, and the f-body's weigh a good bit more than a corvette. Basically get a corvette if you want the independent rear or stick with an f-fbody. Doing it to be different is a waste of money IMO.
Old 02-14-2006, 12:36 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 777
The big question is why. Why convert an f-body to an independent style rear suspension. Bad for drag racing, and the f-body's weigh a good bit more than a corvette. Basically get a corvette if you want the independent rear or stick with an f-fbody. Doing it to be different is a waste of money IMO.
1> Too be different.

2> To have a better weight distrib than a Corvette improving the ride quality and launch-ablilty of your car.

3> Custom project for everyone to rave about and prove you have the skills to do it.
Old 02-14-2006, 12:59 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This may be a dumb question but when you have a transaxle like that, is the driveshaft somehow connected to the clutch or is it directly connected to the crankshaft with the flywheel/clutch further down along the drivetrain?
Old 02-14-2006, 02:52 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed
Still, with the C5 IRS you would be able to use a TH400, 4L80, or T56 very easy. Would you be able to do that with the Jag set up?
well I don't see it being an issue as the tranmission would stay in the same place so it's only the prop that would need hooking up and that's easy to fab.

Having said that my XJS used the GM400 3 speed autobox anyhow so it should just bolt up.
Old 03-01-2006, 09:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What does it take to shorten a torque tube? Do you just remachine the inner drive shaft, or do you need a custom one? Also how is the gear change on the manual on vette actuated? Is it a two cable system? Seriously thinking about doing this in a third gen rx7
Old 03-03-2006, 05:03 PM
TECH Addict

I've been thinking about putting an IRS in my SS for a few months now. I would suspect the conversion would be cheaper than buying a new car since my car is almost paid off.

I like the C5 setup, but I don't want to move the transmission to the rear. I know it would redistribute some weight, but I'm not interested in cutting up the body. Is there a front yoke adaptor for the C5 differential that would allow a driveshaft to bolt up vs. having the transmission mated directly to the diff? Or would a C4 rear be a better choice?

BTW: I don't drag race. I'm interested in the handling, ride, and as a fringe benefit: dual exhaust that fits correctly. Money aside I'm not interested in the Vette due to the lack of a back seat.
Old 03-03-2006, 05:22 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like stated above, all it takes is money and skill.
Old 03-03-2006, 06:00 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by technical
I've been thinking about putting an IRS in my SS for a few months now. I would suspect the conversion would be cheaper than buying a new car since my car is almost paid off.

I like the C5 setup, but I don't want to move the transmission to the rear. I know it would redistribute some weight, but I'm not interested in cutting up the body. Is there a front yoke adaptor for the C5 differential that would allow a driveshaft to bolt up vs. having the transmission mated directly to the diff? Or would a C4 rear be a better choice?

BTW: I don't drag race. I'm interested in the handling, ride, and as a fringe benefit: dual exhaust that fits correctly. Money aside I'm not interested in the Vette due to the lack of a back seat.
the c-5 style diff has a top mounted drive gear (top side of axle centerline)and a will put an upward angle on the drive line when used with a std. front mounted transmission setup which most of the time is at 0 or a 5deg. angle down.
you would be better off putting in a 04 thru 06 GTO or CTS-V rear cradle
as I have looked into this for another project
Old 03-05-2006, 03:29 AM
TECH Addict

I like the design of the CTS rear since the suspension components bolt directly to the cradle vs. the upper arms of the C5 which bolt to the body? I'm not sure if the cradle from the GTO would fit either. Fact is I don't like the geometry of either suspension. The C5 is where I'd like to be. The other two suspensions look like they'll wander under load. Especially the GTO. At least the CTS rear has upper controls arms. I don't see anything up top in the pictures of the goat's suspension. I also recognize that trailing arm/toe rod configuration on the CTS. Now I know why everyone complains of wheel hop.
Old 12-28-2006, 10:07 PM
Teching In

Default need help

i NEED DIMENSIONS ON THAT TRANSAXLE JUST TOTAL LENGTH AND DISTANCE FROM BELLHOUSING TO CENTER OF AXLES CAN YOU HELP
Old 12-28-2006, 10:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Yank
It will have a cage and we are making a kit to do this install
we have a Rear mounted Th400, 4l80-e, 4l60-e 5l50-e and 6l60-e kits in the works as well as 6speed
this is a old photo and the car has much more done at this time
We plan on going to the Power tour with it
Looks cool ...will check it out on next years Tour..[2007!!!!]
Old 12-31-2006, 07:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Yank
like this

do u have a pic from behind on under the car?
Old 12-31-2006, 09:35 AM
FormerVendor

I will get some uploaded soon for you with the final setup installed
Old 01-03-2007, 10:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 214 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by technical

Why not do this? https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...&highlight=IRS
Old 01-04-2007, 04:12 PM
FormerVendor

Here is a lower shot you asked for

Old 01-04-2007, 05:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Good Work
Old 01-05-2007, 08:37 AM
Teching In

Is it possible to shorten the torque tube and driveshaft?
Old 01-05-2007, 09:19 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed

2> To have a better weight distrib than a Corvette improving the ride quality and launch-ablilty of your car.
Launch-ability Have you ever driven a corvette at the track? Let me know how you feel about the wheel hop after you do. Straight axle > IRS when it comes to drag racing.

At the end of the day unless you have an assload of money to burn and have a whole lot of time also, why even bother? I understand why a performance shop might do it to have a neat shop car...but it's just not really practical. If you want IRS, get a corvette. If you don't want a 2 seater, then get a GTO, there's 4 seats and IRS for you.

There are so many more 'custom' projects one could embark on that would be a hell of a lot more useful, and be 'different' at the same time.
Old 01-05-2007, 09:19 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by phunk
Is it possible to shorten the torque tube and driveshaft?
Yes, I do it all the time, with our Th400 and 4l80-e kits and for special projects

Quick Reply: Corvette transaxle on an F-Body??